help with reverse engine lock

CATFISH KING

Cadet
just got a '86 16' capri cuddy w/ force 85....runs great, new starter, fuel line and tanks, battery, etc...but how does the engine "lock" in place to keep it from riding up when in reverse? also, is the small attached lever on the left side that locks it in the up position strong enough to hold the engine there during transport?..thanks..chris....greensboro, nc

stangalot

Recruit
Re: help with reverse engine lock

thats not the reverse lock. it should be a small lever or knob in front of engine just below steering shaft. usually that old they are usually broke so you'll have to rig something up to connect the support bar on rngine to trim bar on transom. and something else to release it. but hopefully yours is still there.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, mine is broken as well. I just used rope, tied it to the reverse lock mechanism, then up through the hole where the knob used to be, added a handle, and viola...done.

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mines broken too. i just dont reverse. lol

but the lever that holds the motor up, i wouldnt rely on that for transporting. get a 4x4 and put it under the leg to hold it up instead. I do that and then lash the motor to it so it dosent bounce off when driving.