old chrysler fuel

don86

Cadet
I have a 1969 Chrysler 85hp outboard. Just put new seals in foot. I thought I had a lower unit leak. Upon futher inspection, It appears that the "oil" looks to be gas/oil mix coming from the water outlets/exhaust outlet. If so, what can I do to fix this?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: old chrysler fuel

Nothing! It is excess unburned oil and fuel draining through the leg. Common on earlier 2 stroke engines, especially those without oil recirculation systems.

If the engine is running squishy rich, you can try leaning out the carbs BUT: Do not do it willy-nilly. Too lean and you will melt pistons. NEVER, never set the low speed needles on the carbs leaner than 3/4 turn out from lightly seated. GET a MANUAL. best investment you will ever make.

don86

Cadet
Re: old chrysler fuel

thanks alot. But it just seems excessive. also coming out of front "weep" hole,is what worries me. smell gas bad. I have a selco manual but It just doesn't expain some things as good as others. There is also a upper fuel line coming out of the side of the block that is blocked off by the fuel pump. Could this be why it doesn't run at full throttle?