Changing Leg Oil in Chrysler 50 1966???

jwingpg

Recruit
Hello,

I have an old Chrysler 50 which I believe to be about 1966 as it looks the same as a Westbend 45. This engine was purchased used and had been repainted and decals installed so it could be anything. I know it was purchased as a Chrysler as I bought it from a friend whose father had it new and used it for one summer and then sold the boat but kept the engine. His son took the engine and put it on a boat he had for two weeks after painting it up.

This engine is in great shape and only has two summers use on it in 40 + years.

The leg oil is empty and I wanted to fill it up but see that there are three holes in the leg at the bottom. I know I will need to fill it from the bottom but was cautioned about pulling one of the screws as it apparently locks the shaft???

I may also need to replaced the gaskets prior to refilling. Can anybody point me to a link with the information I need to do this or give me some suggestions?

Cheers,

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Changing Leg Oil in Chrysler 50 1966???

Two of the screws one lower below the prop shaft is the drain/fill hole and the upper is the vent hole. They both are slotted type screws and are about the size of a dime (3/4 inch diameter). The pivot screw is located to the very front of the outboard and has a much smaller head and is located at the very front of the torpedo. Mercury sells the washers part number 12-191833 and they cost less then a buck each. It is best to buy a ten dollar pump and pump from the lower hole until the oil comes out the upper hole. As soon as you see oil come out the top stop pumping and insert the top screw with washer (also refered to as a plug and plug washer). Remove the pump from the lower unit and quickly install the lower plug and washer.. You will loose a few drops but dont worry. Replace the gear oil every fall.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changing Leg Oil in Chrysler 50 1966???

If it is that old and has that little time on it, the only thing I would change at first would be the water pump impeller. Refill the lower unit and see if it leaks first. What will you waste? Three bucks of lower unit oil.

If it is indeed Chrysler or West bend, then the lower drain/fill plug is on the side of the skeg in the fillet between the skeg and gearcase torpedo. It is a large 1/2 inch diameter flat head screw. The top vent is the same size and located about two inches above the cavitation plate.

You remove both screws and let the old oil drain with the engine vertical. With the engine still vertical, you plug in the tube or bottle of marine grade lower unit oil and squeeze until the oil flows out the top hole. With the bottle nozzle still in place, replace and snug the top vent screw. Then, quickly remove the oil bottle and replace the bottom fill/drain screw. Let sit about 1/2 hour to let any air rise, then top off the oil. This is critical because low oil will starve the top bushing. Be sure to tighten both screws very securely.

Be certain the screw sealing gaskets are in good condition or replace them. You can use Force, mercury or OMC gaskets