Chrysler 45 Charging problems

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just when i thought it was safe to put her back in the water, decided to double check everything, and i find that i am not getting a charge.

Q1 - I am reading only 5 vdc from the rectifier, what should i be getting ?

Q2 - I am reading only 3 vac going into the rectifier, again what should i be getting ?

Q3 - What reading should i get in ohms through the alternator winding ?

I have searched like mad through my manual, but it only shows how to remove / refit alternator, rectifier etc, NO actual tests and results i should be getting.

Really need your help good people on this forum.

TIA Neal

john from md

Commander
Re: Chrysler 45 Charging problems

Stator AC voltage going into the rectifier should be 16 to 18 volts AC. Out of the rectifier at idle about 12 to 13 and at speed 14 to 16.

Clean the connections real good on the rectifier and then try again. These do get oxidation build up and it results in poor conductivity.

Regards,

John

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chrysler 45 Charging problems

Hi John, thanks for the infomation, looks like i am going to buy a new meter, disconnected the live from the battery to the rectifier and replaced it with a light, turned the engine over on tickover and it lit nice and bright, so it is charging / producing 12vdc, then checked my meter against the battery and that showed only 3.6 volts - should have checked the meter first .....

Panic over, once again John many thanks.