Chrysler / West Bend 20 HP oil ratio?

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up three motors this weekend at a yard sale, two look like they may run, the other is parts. Two are marked Chrysler, the other West Bend, all three appear to be identical other then the badges.

My guess is that their from around 1964 to 1966 or so. The two Chrysler motors are 20501 and 20602 models. The West Bend is mostly in boxes.

What is the oil mix ratio for these?

Were the early Chrysler motors just carry overs from the West Bend motors?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler / West Bend 20 HP oil ratio?

Chrysler bought West bend in the early 1960s and for the most part in the beginning kept their designs. ALL Chrysler and late West Bend water cooled engines use a 50-1 ratio gas to oil, TCW 3.

reelfishin

Captain

I was pretty much thinking 50:1 myself.
I just picked one myself that came with a two full tanks that look a bit oil rich, and smoke like a freight train. I'm guessing that they guy was just dumping in a bottle every time he filled the tank. It runs fine but it sure will keep the bugs away like that.
I found a half a case of old 2 stroke oil from way back when under the splashwell, it's still in paper cans and has no TCW rating at all, it just says 30 wt. 2 stroke outboard motor oil from Gulfpride.
The cans have to be as old as the boat and motor.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wasn't lucky enough to get a boat with mine but I have plenty of spare parts. I was thinking 50:1 but wanted to be sure. The tanks that came with mine had gas in them that was probably as old as the motors themselves. It stunk up the whole shed. I had to go through the carb on the one I've been working on.
The compression is 137/140 and it fired right up on some premix in a squirt can. The fuel pump is also probably ready for an overhaul too.

Those old oil cans you got with yours are probably collectable, and no doubt, the oil in them will be inferior to anything you can buy today.