1976 Chrysler 75HP Recommendations on Fuel Pump or Carburetor cleaning solvents

Randy W.

Seaman
What do you use to clean the fuel pump housing/check valves and also the carburetors on these 2-cycle outboards? I've noticed some folks use WD40 while others suggest regular automobile carburetor cleaner. I guess I'm concerned about the carb cleaner being too harsh??

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1976 Chrysler 75HP Recommendations on Fuel Pump or Carburetor cleaning solvents

You shouldn't need a solvent for the fuel pump. Fuel is a solvent. If the check valves are gummed up it is cheap to replace them. If you are going to use a solvent you should stay away from carb cleaners. They are hard on rubber and plastic. I like WD 40 for cleaning or contact cleaner

Steven P.

Cadet
Re: 1976 Chrysler 75HP Recommendations on Fuel Pump or Carburetor cleaning solvents

Go to a Mercury dealer and ask for a can of power tune part# 92-802878Q57.
Be careful around plastics or rubber.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I take it completly apart and then use carb cleaner.Any of the carb soaks will destroy any plastic/rubber so if you use it keep it far away.The gaskets when removed make sure they don't dryout as they will shrink and never fit again(if you plan on using them again).J