95 bayliner 120 force shifting problems

goldsuke25

Cadet
can someone help

I was out on lake conroe yesterday. as i was pulling in to get loaded on the trailer i killed the motor when i started it up and moved it into gear the motor
made a loud noise like a bang a bunch of white smoke came out I thought i had blew the motor it died right away.i turned the key and it started up no problems but when i tried to shift it in gear the shifter did not want to move
i gave it a little more presure and it shifted but it would not go in to gear
I have no forward or reverse it just sits there.can someone help me in explaining the steps I shoud do.

john from md

Commander
Re: 95 bayliner 120 force shifting problems

Sounds like something in the lower failed.

Try to rotate the prop by hand, does it rotate? Disconnect the shift cable on the side of the engine and try to move the shift lever in fwd and rev. Does it move?

Drain the oil out of the lower. Is it milky or is it dark?

Report back.

John

goldsuke25

Cadet

john thanks for the reply
the prop turns and the shifter goes up forward and reverse
but does not shift into gear
cheked the lower and it was dark shifter cable is going back and forth

john from md

Commander

Let me understand what you are telling me. You disconnected the shifter cable and moved the lever on the engine foward and back and the prop will lock up no matter where you put the lever. Correct?

If this is so, then either the shift clutch, clutch dogs or the pinion gear may have failed. The only way to ell for sure is to open up the lower. You will have to disassemble it anyway to repair the damage.

On the good side, I believe Mercruiser still makes parts for the later engines.

John

goldsuke25

Cadet

the prop locks when i put it in reverse
when i put in forward the prop spins as if it is in neutral still the shifter and cables move no problem it just does not lock in to gear on the forward
how hard of a job is it to fix something like this

stephen

john from md

Commander

It sounds like the forward dog may be bad. I suggest you buy a manual and look at the sections on the lower. This will give you an idea how complicated it is and whether it is beyond your ability or not.

Manuals can be bought from ebay,amazon.com, barnes and noble etc.. I recommend the Clymer manual.

Regards,

John

goldsuke25

Cadet

am sorry it has a reverse it just does not have a forward
and what i mean by that is that it does not propell when shifted in forward
it sits like it is in nutral could it be anything else other then the forward dog
and if it is the forward dog how much could i expect to pay to get it fixed if i had a boat mechanic do it.

john from md

Commander

It sounds like the dog is gone but, once you open these up, you always replace additional parts just to be on the safe side and not have to do it again in two years.

I have never paid anyone to work on my boat so I don't know what it costs. I do know that people sell complete lower units on ebay for $350 to $700. You can always go to a boat mechanic and ask for an estimate.

I can tell you that, unless you are mechanically inclined, you shouldn't try to repair the lower yourself.

Regards,

John

fab9racing

Seaman Apprentice

I have a lower unit off a 94 force 120 ill take 250 its complete put u a new water pump and your good to go