'68 Chrysler lower unit gasket

rbtroutguy

Recruit
I took apart the lower unit of my '68 Chrysler 45hp outboard to reset the shift pivot screw and check the bearings. While removing the lower unit, I destroyed the lower unit black gasket. Are these available anywhere, or can I use silicone caulk to make my own gasket. Also, does this gasket separate oil from water at any point, or would I be able to just seal the outside? This is my first attempt at this, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks! rbtroutguy

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '68 Chrysler lower unit gasket

I took apart the lower unit of my '68 Chrysler 45hp outboard to reset the shift pivot screw and check the bearings. While removing the lower unit, I destroyed the lower unit black gasket. Are these available anywhere, or can I use silicone caulk to make my own gasket. Also, does this gasket separate oil from water at any point, or would I be able to just seal the outside? This is my first attempt at this, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks! rbtroutguy

Hi
You can find and get any parts you might need from Franz at www.franzmarine.com or email him directly at franzmarine@aol.com
Hector

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Do not attempt to seal around the outside. That gasket not only seals the gearcase torpedo against water intrusion but locates the Bearing and pinion.

Best to use a new stock one BUT---I have cut one from a white plastic container like potato salad etc. Trick is: It needs to be thin like the original. Do not use fiber Gasket paper.

You would be surprised at the force of the water against the lower unit while at speed. This gasket must resist it. That's the reason I used plastic: I could tighten the bolts way down for a good seal.

rbtroutguy

Recruit

Thanks for the answer, Frank! When you cut your gasket out, was it for a fit around only the outside, or did you cut it out for all the holes inside as well. Does any water circulate around inside? or is it only lower unit oil? I've already put it back together (which was tough because the yoke from the gear shift arm pin had fallen off). I didn't have any of the special tools to reinstall it, so it took me awhile. Anyway, I hate to think of pulling it apart again to seat a new gasket, but it sounds like that might be my only alternative. Thanks again for the help. rbtroutguy

Steven P.

Cadet

If you can't find the gasket you are looking for I'm pretty sure I have It brand new if you need it. Any other parts you might need make a list and e-mail it to me. My e-mail is bayouboatdoctor@aol.com. I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and going to work Sunday May 23 and will be gone for about a week. Send email and I will check on the parts for you when I return.

Thanks

Steven