temp overheating force 125hp

galillo

Seaman Apprentice
Hi went to a trip yesterday on my bayliner capri cuddy 1988 motor Force 125hp 1988, after a while pulling a tube the temp. alarm whent on, I turn off my motor and wait for a while until cool down then start the motor again and get back on road butt still seem some steem coming from the holes mixted with water, so I pull up the boat from the water, I change the impeller about two months ago, What else can affect this problem if the impeller is fine, this time I was in a river but I don't want to have this issue in the middle of the ocean.

Thanks,

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: temp overheating force 125hp

i would check the impeller and check the feed tube of the top of the inpeller housing and make sure it has no damage

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

After you let it cool off and got back under way, you said you still saw steam coming out of the pee holes? Sounds like you're not pumping enough water. Check the thermostat. It may be bad.

Take the thermostat out. It should have either a 130 or 143 stamped on it somewhere. This is the temperature rating of the thermostat. Put it in a pan of water and heat it up. I should open all the way at the approximate temperature that's stamped on it.

If you can't tell if it's opening properly, just leave the thermostat out temporarily as a test. Give it a run on the lake and see if there is any difference. For best operation, you should have a thermostat, but you can run without as a test.

john from md

Commander

Check your timing. If it is 32deg Before Top Dead Center, change it to 28deg. I have done this a few times and it works. I have been told it is because of the make up of the fuel we use today vs the fuel we used to have in the 1980's.

It is easy to set the timing if you have an advance timing light. With this type of light, all you need is the top dead center mark to adjust the timing. If you don't know what I am talking about, you may want to take it to someone as these lights are not cheap and you may only use it once.

John

galillo

Seaman Apprentice

my motor do?not have a thermostate I take it off about two months ago were i live is desert so all ways is hot.

about timing I don't have the light so I guess have to jump with a mechanically the problem is no one close in my town.

Thanks for your help.