'89 125hp Force tilt/trim pump oil

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would like to know how to ad oil fluid to my tilt/trim motor, I know it has to be checked with the outboard on the full down position, but I don't know what kind of oil use or If it's better to bleed the whole system and ad new oil to it, thanks in advance for you help.

RRitt

Captain
Re: '89 125hp Force tilt/trim pump oil

the '89 pump has a large enough reservoir that it can be filled in either up or down position. Down has no risk of spraying out in your face, up has a larger reserve in case of leak.

look at color of fluid. If it is red then drain and flush entire system then refill with oil. If not red then use either 30W non-detergent motor oil or ISO32 hydraulic oil. Do not use ATF or regular motor oil they both contain additives that will take years off the life of your system.

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks RRitt, I have had the boat for about 3 years now and I have done a lot of maintenance on the engine and lower unit but I have never serviced the tilt/trim motor, motor works fine but sometimes when I tilt it, you can hear the motor running but it takes a few seconds for the cylinder to start working so I figure it could be a lack of oil on the system.

I would like to empty the whole system and refill it with new oil, what's the best procedure to do this?

RRitt

Captain

lift engine all the way up and brace into place.
Take front bottom oil tube loose from motor/pump port.
remove filler plug and put in safe place.
Hang bucket underneath and run pump in up direction until it is out of fluid.
Unbrace engine and let gravity push out fliuid.
Reattach oil tube and refill with 30W non detergent motor oil.

Disregard any previous refernce to ISO32 hydraulic oil. It often causes bucking in "89 engines (fluid is too thin).

If you want to flush, then refill with mineral spirits. run system back and forth a few times and then drain again.

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the great info, I'll try that.:)

TexasBayFisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the '89 pump has a large enough reservoir that it can be filled in either up or down position. Down has no risk of spraying out in your face, up has a larger reserve in case of leak.

look at color of fluid. If it is red then drain and flush entire system then refill with oil. If not red then use either 30W non-detergent motor oil or ISO32 hydraulic oil. Do not use ATF or regular motor oil they both contain additives that will take years off the life of your system.

lift engine all the way up and brace into place.
Take front bottom oil tube loose from motor/pump port.
remove filler plug and put in safe place.
Hang bucket underneath and run pump in up direction until it is out of fluid.
Unbrace engine and let gravity push out fliuid.
Reattach oil tube and refill with 30W non detergent motor oil.

Disregard any previous refernce to ISO32 hydraulic oil. It often causes bucking in "89 engines (fluid is too thin).

If you want to flush, then refill with mineral spirits. run system back and forth a few times and then drain again.

Good information, Sir. :cool:
Seems to me most people neglect this kind of maintenance by never checking fluid level or its condition.

getmoney

Recruit

When fill this do you fill it all the way to the top? I have a 90 HP force motor, i took the 2 bolts off the top and theres a lot of copper wires in it. Then there is a hand tightened bolt on the side, but I see nothing else. My motor is slipping down fast though.

Oyepossum

Recruit
I have a 91 force 90 hp and when it is in the up position it drops not fast but not slow either. Could it need fluid or should I replace the pump?