Carburator/ Removing main nozzle

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am cleaning carb. Was taking apart, then it says back off main nozzle. Picture looks like it is a screw. I look in turret and see a head with a slot in it. It has a pin sticking out of it. So I can not use a screw driver.Is this the Main nozzle? If so how do you get it off. Book says, back off then remove from turret. How do you back off. I think I am just missing the main nozzle. It is about 1/4 inch lower then main jet screw. Did someone just put it in too deep?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carburator/ Removing main nozzle

What you are describing is the main nozzle or main dip tube. The "pin" in the center is actually the low speed dip tube. It is not possible to unscrew the main nozzle with a regular screwdriver without removing the low speed dip tube. A special screwdriver was made with a slot in the center to clear the low speed dip tube.

I can not think of one time when cleaning a carb that I found it necessary to remove the main nozzle. Leave it assembled.

At the bottom of the carb casting , usually on the side, is the main or high speed JET.

The Jet and both dip tubes can be cleaned with WD40 spray and the red plastic tube that comes with it. If necessary, use a pipe cleaner to ream and clear the low speed dip tube.