9.9 chrysler starter

chevytech2

Recruit
i have a 9.9 chrysler motor. i am having to replace my starter due to it braking. i have a spare but i need to know how to rewind the coil. if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it. i heard someone say something about a special tool but im not sure. please help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 chrysler starter

OK! You most likely have the spool starter with a large white pully on the bottom. First you remove the top screw. This holds the pin that activates the bendix gear. Now, remove the pin that passes through the white or black plastic gear and the aluminum shaft.

Now, a special tool makes it easier, but the tool is not necessary.
Take a screw with a hex head that fits the top hole (either 10-24 or 10-32 thread, I forget which). Put a nut on it and screw it partway into the top hole. Do not go so far as to block the pin holes. That's why you have the nut on it. Tighten the nut fully so the screw can not slip and turn. Now, using the hex top of the screw and either a nutdriver or a small wrench, rewind the spring until you get the pull cord handle to retract fully and have an additional bit of tension on it. Not too much tension or you will break the spring when you pull start the engine. Just a little tension to ensure full retraction of the cord.

Now align the holes for the pin with the slot in the gear and slide in the pin to retain it. Remove the hex head screw and replace with the original screw to retain the pin. That's it.