need help finding a part for my force

i just bought a 96 bayliner capri 14 footer and it came with a force 50 engine. i know nothing about boats or boat engines so I came across this forum and want to ask for some help.

The engine right now works. the engine does tilt up but it dont lock into place. it doesn't have a tilt motor so i have to do it manually. does it have a rod or something that makes it lock into place? right now it just hangs down even when i tow it back to my house. i dont want to tow it anymore til i get the motor to tilt and lock into place.

thanks in advance. i'll keep searching the forums for answer.

RRitt

Captain
Re: need help finding a part for my force

14" long piece of 2x4 and a section of rope works great for towing. In water the engine either has a reverse lock (mechanical latch) or a trim system (hydraulics rams with 12V reversible pump). Even with trim you should not tow your boat without bracing. A big pothole can blow bypass valves open and/or blow out seals such that your prop drags on cement.

do you have a picture of this setup with the 2x4 wood so i know where to place it and how to do it. thanks. this would save me some money. let me post a pic of my motor and if you can see what else it needs. thank

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

DSCF1229.jpg

one more thing. what parts would i need to make this thing motorize? adding a motor to lift up this engine. how much would it run? and how hard to install? or should i just stick with the manual lifting of the motor?

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class

the engine does tilt up but it dont lock into place. it doesn't have a tilt motor so i have to do it manually. does it have a rod or something that makes it lock into place? right now it just hangs down even when i tow it back to my house.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but on the port side in the picture you show. Under the model number plate in the picture. There is a metal bracket with a L shape cut in it. A nut of sort rides in this groove when you lift the motor. When you lift the motor push this bracket down. It should lock the motor in the upright position. It is called a tilt stop.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

yep noah gots it

are you in the SF bay?

yeah im in the sf bay. i need help getting this boat going. as for now i dont even know what year it is. the papers say 1996 but i dont think it is. it seems like 1990 capri. anyways i'll start to google tilt stop. thanks.

RRitt

Captain

yep, noah has it. right there in the second picture, next to the big bolt.

Your engine can't be a 1996. In the first picture you can see the model number and serial number tag. The last three digits of model # are your year. It looks like 1990 but is a little fuzzy. But it can't possibly be 1996. US Marine sold Force to mercury around 1991.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

yeah im in the sf bay. i need help getting this boat going. as for now i dont even know what year it is. the papers say 1996 but i dont think it is. it seems like 1990 capri. anyways i'll start to google tilt stop. thanks.

i sent yu a PM