Steering cable for 85hp Force-Bayliner capri

cpulone

Cadet
I have a steering cable in need of replacement on my 89 Bayliner with 85hp Force OB. It is a rack type and I am first wondering if I can replace it with one of the various aftermarket cables (Uflex, etc) and how difficult a job is it (do I need to remove the engine?). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering cable for 85hp Force-Bayliner capri

Any aftermarket should fit.No the motor should be able to stay(it might be a little tricky but can be done).Anyone with a big cresent wrench should be able to change it.Jerry

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to remove the motor when I did mine (89 Capri, 125hp). The rod would not slide out from the tube any other way.

Remove the old cable and check the length before ordering the new. Numbers should be printed on it. Should be a Teleflex ( $150.00 +/-)

Why do you need a replacement? Are you sure?

cpulone

Cadet

The old cable is stuck in place. I disconnected the rack from the steering wheel and cannot move the cable. Also disconnected the engine steering arm (terminology?) from the end of the cable and still cannot get that end of the cable to budge. So I am thinking that it is frozen in place.
When you speak of "the rod", you are talking about what attaches to the steering arm on the outboard? That baby is stuck fast.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you move the motor side to side by hand? With/without the steering arm connected?

The "rod" slides into the "tube" on the transom mounts and connects to the steering arm.

Maybe yours is different from mine.

cpulone

Cadet

Sounds like the same set up. I can easily move the motor when the steering arm is disconnected. Worked at it a bit tonight and the cable pulls out a bit but the rod seems not to be connected to the cable as it does not move at all when I pull on the cable. The rest has moved out of the tube about 0.5".

jim_b_20653

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like your cable is frozen inside the tilt tube.You may not need to replace the cable. Try spraying some penetrating oil on the exposed end of the cable, near where you disconnect the steering arm, let it soak for a while then tapping on the end to persuade it loose. Once you get the old cable out you can clean up the inside of the tube with a brush on a driil. You are going to have to free up the old cable whether you replace it or not. Make sure you lubricate it when it goes back together.

cpulone

Cadet

Thanks. I tried some liquid wrench a couple of days ago but it has not yet moved. Will keep trying. If I cannot get it out is a replacement tube something that is readily available?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

FYI the end of the cable that goes in the through tube of the motor is called the "ram".

jim_b_20653

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Make sure you persuade the "ram" from the motor end and dont try to force it free by turning the steering wheel. I have seen several systems destroyed by that method. Tilt tubes are readily available and easy to change out. If you operate mainly in salt water you may want to consider replacing yours with a stainless one.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Once they are siezed you might need the hot wrench to free them.I JUST helped a friend and I had to use a propane torch to free it.
The steering was still good just frozen in the tilt tube.
Heat it up then undo the retaining nut and use a piece of wood and a big hammer/sledge hit the end .You need to pull the steering arm off and insert a bolt of the same size so you don't ruin the end of the ram.You will need to spray the steering ram with all kinds of cleaners to UN-GUNK it.
Then use a tube brush to clean the steering tube.I bought them at northern freight (or something like that).They are about 18-20" long.I cut the loop off the end and used my electric drill to clean the tube(use WD-40 or any solvent)
When re-assembling use spray lithium grease and a good lithium from a tube.Stay away from thick grease or anti-sieze(anti sneeze becomes perma sieze when left on these steering shafts and tubes)Jerry