1982 chrysler 140 cooling question on

gtownky

Seaman
When the boat is out of the water and you put the (water muffs) not sure the correct name. The things the hose connects to and is placed around the lower unit. Is there suppose to be water coming out some place else so I can tell that it is cooling? I place the motor in a trash can first and fired it up but couldnt see water come out any where and the high temp alarm never sounded. Then drained the can and tryed the muffs and still never seen any water and never heard alarm sound.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 chrysler 140 cooling question on

Some of these engines take a long time to prime and some are very fussy with muffs.

Assuming your impeller is ok and assuming that there is enough flow of water to the engine, then water should spray out the exhaust snout and some should exit the two idle relief holes in the back of the engine leg.

When running the engine on muffs, it is necessary to be certain that the muffs are centered over the intake holes AND you must have the water turned up so it has enough force to spray out around the muffs.

To double check the overheat alarm, on the engine terminal, with the ignition switch on, jump the orange wire to ground. The alarm should sound or light.

While running, the engine should be uncomfortably hot to the touch, but water dribbled on the head should not rapidly boil off.

gtownky

Seaman
Re: 1982 chrysler 140 cooling question on

Thanks for your reply! How long is long for water to start to appearing and I am assuming I should see water at the 2 holes in rear of the lower unit?

Last edited: