Chrysler - 1977 65hp - help with starter

dalester

Recruit
Need help on this one...

I have a 1977 Chrysler 65hp whereby the starter is not engaging the flywheel.

I'm seeking a 'new starter' before I consider rebuilding this one.

Does anyone know where I could find a Chrysler 12v starter - part number is 474955-2 made by Prestolite. Alternatively, does anyone know of a perfect match for this starter?

thanks,

Dale

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chrysler - 1977 65hp - help with starter

Slow down, Dale. There may be nothing wrong with your starter.

Failing to engage the flywheel is most often caused by:

1. Starter is not getting enough current to make the torque necessary to drive the bendix up into the flywheel. This is usually a problem with resistance in the starter high current circuit. Remove, clean and reattach all connections (no matter how good they look or how tight they are) from battery to the starter (via the solenoid), including battery terminals and especially the connection of the ground cable to the engine block.

2. Sticky surfaces on the bendix gear and the starter spiral shaft. Clean these surfaces and lube with light oil. Sewing machine or gun oil are suitable.

Check out those free fixes before you start replacing stuff.

Let us know what you find. :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Also post your model number. Chrysler did not make a 65 HP in 1977. The 65 HP was only produced in 1978 and because of this the starter may be rare. If it is a 55 HP the starter may be easier to find. Older chrysler starters were built real solid usually only requiring a good cleaning to get them running again. If you find an aftermarket startr for that motor it will probably run you around $120 minimum.

dalester

Recruit

thanks for all the help guys,

My error, the engine is a 1978.

Secondly, I did check and reconnect all the cables. Unfortunately, it did not work. I also cleaned the shaft and added some grease...did not work either.

I bought the boat from an estate sale and the boat and motor are essentially showroom condition, it's been sitting under tarp in a garage for years. It definately has not seen much water and good use some solid running.

Dale

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Dale: That series of 55,60,65 engies was a separate series and used a different starter than all other mid to large Chrysler engines.

If I am correct, your engine is a 2 cylinder 2 carb engine.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news---but---

It most likely has a MAGNA-POWER II ignition system. Putting it politely, this ignition was a piece of crap. It was so bad and failed so regularly that Chrysler offered a retro fit kit.

Before you invest ANY money into this engine, hook up the electrical and rope start it to see if it has spark. If it has no spark, sell it. Parts are not available to either convert this ignition or to repair it. You might be able to find used parts at The Chrysler Crew and convert to Prestolite ignition but that's a lot of work and cost--even used. While the engine block itself was a beauty and really well engineered, the ignition may give you heartaches. Magna Power II was spotty--many failed but some ran forever. This series engines also had problems with the lower units. The gears were too small for the power and also could fail if abused at all. They would last well unless a smaller prop was used and a full throttle hole shot was performed. Then the engine developed power so fast that it overloaded the gears and stripped them. So if you do get it running be sure to use a higher pitched prop (around 10 3/8 X 13) and try not to nail it. Full throttle runs are not a problem, just quick acceleration hole shots.

If it has spark and you decide you want a starter, send me a private message--I have 2 plus some other parts..