Shifting Problems 1972 Chrysler 45hp

I Have A 1972 Chrysler 45hp Outboard. I Recently Replaced The Impeller About Three Months Ago. Since Then Its Been Running Fine For About 10 Trips. But Last Weekend I Got In The 5mph Zone And Shifted From Forward To Neutral Then When I Went To Go Forward Again It Just Revd Up. But It Goes In Reverse Fine. So On The Water My Buddy Pushed The Rod That Comes From Under The Exhaust Covers Down When It Was In Neutral, I Put It In Forward It Grabed And Was Fine All The Way Back To The Dock. I Tried Going From Neutral To Forward Again And It Did The Same Thing. Im Going To Take It Apart Tonight, Any Pointers On What To Look For Would Be Great! Thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Shifting Problems 1972 Chrysler 45hp

Does yours have a coupler in the middle leg that is about 2 inches long that connects the upper and lower shift linkage or do you separate the shift linkage with a cotter pin?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That engine has a poorly designed shift linkage. The control cables have some compliance. Shift linkage has many bends in the rods and so any binding will cause the rods to bend a bit and the engine to not shift. Usually forward is affected more than reverse. When the binding is not too severe, pushing on the shift lever on the side of the engine will usually put it into gear.

When you remove the lower unit, check the action of the lower shift rod. It should move in and out of the lower unit smoothly and with only a little drag. If it is too tight, it could be due to the seal hardening or swelling with age. If so, replace the seal---about 8 bucks.

These engines also had a lower unit with no drain holes in the front where the shift rod goes down. Because of this, silt tends to collect there over the years until it builds up to a point where it binds the shift rod. If this is the case, use a long screwdriver or such and clean out around the shift rod all the way down to the seal.

Eurolarva: Yes It Has A Coupling Nut Thats About 2" Long With Reverse Threads That Connects Upper And Lower Linkage. What Do You Recomend?

Frank: Thanks Ill Take A Look At All That!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

As little as a 1/2 turn on that coupler will make it worse or better. If clockwise makes it worse go counterclockwise. First I would have someone put the motor in neutral and disconnect the battery for safety purpose. Turn the prop with your finger slowly while someone slowly shifts forward. Mark the spot then go to reverse and do the same thing. Should be equal distance both ways. If neutral is off center then you will need to adjust to make it work.