87 Force 9.9 bladder control/pee issue...

ceads7

Recruit
I recently purchased a boat and received the 9.9hp Force motor as a 'bonus'... as I am finding out. Motor starts first pull, no clogs in waterjackets, impeller is new, drive shaft and gears (F, N, R) are perfect. Motor will pee wonderfully as long as you want to run it (nice sputter/small stream at low RPM, increased as RPMs increase).. Kill the motor, re-start (5 - 10 minutes later)... no pee. Wait a few hours, pees great... kill motor, re-start.... may or may not pee. I am completely baffled at this point. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 87 Force 9.9 bladder control/pee issue...

did you check/change the thermostat also check for blockage in the water hole compressed air or fine wire though the hole when its all apart to make sure there is not something in there clogging the hole .. what makes u say the water pump is good did you change it or just take someones word for it ?

ceads7

Recruit

I have personally tested the water pump system... It will pee as it's suppose to and sometimes it won't (back to back, start (peeing)-stop, start (not peeing)-stop). Was not aware that the 9.9hp had a thermostat. After doing additional research I have found it may be one of two issues, 1. Impeller level is very close to water level (on lake) or 2. Impeller housing did not have a gasket, which has no been addressed. Going to the lake tomorrow, if it doesn't pee I will run the trolling motor. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Did you run it on the hose or in a bucket?

I've seen warped pump housings and missing gaskets both pump when the pump was submerged, it would prime and continue to pump even up on a plane, but if the water line was below the level of the pump housing it would NOT prime.