Help! 85HP Force NOT Shifting

IndyNurseRuthie

Recruit
SOS!

I had my boat out on Lake Michigan, with 1-2 foot waves when I went out (the marine forecast was WAY off). The wind picked up just after dark and when the 3-5 foot waves started pushing me dangerously close to a large stone sea-wall, I panicked and put my boat in reverse and put the throttle down pretty hard (I was fighting the waves).

When a wave came at me and nearly capsized my boat, I decided to make a U-turn and took the boat from reverse to forward in one quick motion with the throttle still down nearly all the way. When I did this, I heard a screeching sound for 4-5 seconds and I immediately turned the engine off. When I tried to restart the engine a minute or so later, it wouldn't start (was just turning over like it does when you try to start it with the boat in gear. Fortunately, a lone boat came my way (everyone else had the good sense to make a run for the harbor when the waves kicked up). After I was towed safely back to the marina, I took a look at the shifter cable and noticed it is "looser" than usual. Where you can normally pull the shifter cable in and out (near the engine) and hear the "click" when it changes from neutral to reverse, there is now NO click - it's smooth and has less resistance when I move the shifter cable in and out where it comes off the engine. (This part of the shifter cable normally has more resistance and clicks when it is moved forward or backward.)

Dr. Force, are you out there? What on earth did I do? Am I doomed to major repairs or is it possible that something smaller has broken or become disconnected or maladjusted? Where do you suggest that I begin looking? I have the Seloc manual for my engine, which has been very helpful. Does anyone recommend getting the Clymer one? Is it substantially better?

I am no mechanic, but I have done quite a bit of work on this motor in the past - routine maintenance stuff (impeller replacement, etc.), thermostat replacement, troubleshooting starting system and solenoid replacement, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out what places to start looking to assess the damage.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me!

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Help! 85HP Force NOT Shifting

I'm not doctor Force, but if it were mine I would check these two items, just takes a little time to do most of the time.
Pull the drain plug in the lower unit, drain some of the lower unit oil into a clear container. If you see metal flake in the oil in quanity there may be a problem in the lower unit.

The bracket on the engine that holds the shift cable may have come out of adjustment also while slamming the shift handle forward. Good Luck!

max!

IndyNurseRuthie

Recruit

Max,

Thanks so much for the tips. That gives me a place to start. I'll check those two things when I head back up north this weekend.

If I have damage in the lower unit, is it within reason for me to repair/rebuild it myself? I'm pretty handy and rebuilt a small mower engine at one point, but I'm a nurse - not a "real" mechanic.

Ruthie

maxum247

Lieutenant

Depends on the damage and if you have the right kind of tools to work with. Do a search by using the search button at the top of the page, type in something like (lower unit repair) and see what you find, this will give you some idea of the problems that can occurr, or repairs you may need to make if the lower unit is the problem.