1969 Chrysler 35 HP - new gear oil

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just changed the gear oil in my motor with my neighbours help. He had this little plastic pump with clear tube with a threaded end....said it cost him less than $20 at our local marina. Gotta get me one of these.

I had no idea how much oil the lower unit would take, so I bought two litres of motormaster outboard gear oil from Canadian Tire. Paid about $8 per litre for it.

We drained the fluid by first removing the lower drain screw. Just a drip came out of very milky goo. Then we took the top vent screw out and the milky goo came dribbling out. Took about ten minutes for it all to drain out. Because it was so milky we poured some new stuff in the top to help push and remaining bad stuff out.

Time to fill....put the pump on the bottle and started to pump it in. I was surprised because it only took like half a litre. I expected more....which was why I bought two litres.

We're heading up to the cottage on the weekend for a week, so when we get back I'll check the oil again to see how bad it is. I have no idea how old the oil we removed is since I just bought the motor this year and I don't believe anything the prior owner said. (I've learned a lot about boats so far from this experience)

My neighbour has a 199? 25 hp johnson tiller motor and the pump he used fit my old Chrysler fine.....the drain screws are standard size. Gotta pick up some new o rings for the screws though.

Anyway, just wanted to post this since I couldn't find anything online about the screw size or amount of oil it would take. This is probably the easiest maintenance procedure you could ever do....so simple.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1969 Chrysler 35 HP - new gear oil

When you pumped the new oil in did you pump it in the drain hole? That way when it flows out the vent hole you know it is full. If you pump it in the vent hole you will be likely to trap some air and not fill it completely.

Yes. New gaskets (or "O" rings) are a required part of changing gearcase oil. Used gaskets are the most common cause of what you got. . . milky oil that has water in it.

Good luck. :)

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 Chrysler 35 HP - new gear oil

Yep, pumped it in the drain and waited for it to come out of the vent. Was surprised that it took so little fluid. I'm going to pick up some new seals and put them in before I put the boat in the water at the cottage. At least that way I can rule those out as a cause of leakage.