solenoid 85 force ...1987 year

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering if a solenoid had gotten water on it could it short out and cause voltage at the terminal board? I had raised my motor by hand as the tilt/trim does not work. Water in the leg could have submerged the solenoid for a few seconds.

thanks
cordell

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: solenoid 85 force ...1987 year

Just wondering if a solenoid had gotten water on it could it short out and cause voltage at the terminal board? I had raised my motor by hand as the tilt/trim does not work. Water in the leg could have submerged the solenoid for a few seconds.

thanks
cordell

I don't beleive so! I beleive the circuit breaker would have tripped before the spike could get that far!
If the circuit breaker had tripped you would get nothing as though the battery were disconnected when turning the ignition key!

Just curious have you checked the circuit breaker for the tilt/trim system? max!

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tilt/Trim i not on motor any more. pump was d and leaked.:(

I am thinking stator....no way the 2 packs failed at the same time. Same with coils 3 at once? Na stator..

another thing to add. I noticed the last 2 or 3 times out that when at WOT it would seem to skip a beat. Nothing to effect speed but you could hear it happen. I figured this for plugs and maybe a decarb as I have put a lot of hours on this year. Maybe it was my what ever part it is going bad?:confused:

cordell

maxum247

Lieutenant

I'm flying kind of blind with the amount of info I can remember about your motor but generaly if the engine has a miss under a heavy load at high speed the coil could be breaking down or the coil could be shorting through the insulation! Possibly too much spark advance or wrong type spark plugs.

Missing at high speed under a load could also be in the fuel system.
Could be a dirty carburetor, lean carburetor adjustment, Restiction in fuel system, or low fuel pump pressure.
I can't remember exactly what your original problem was but I'm thinking it was an issue with not firing on a couple of cylinders or all, I can only assume you got it running and are now expereincing this miss or skip you are speaking of! max!

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't remember exactly what your original problem was but I'm thinking it was an issue with not firing on a couple of cylinders or all, I can only assume you got it running and are now expereincing this miss or skip you are speaking of! max!

This was some of the things starting to happen before the loss of spark. Just wanting to make sure it didnt lead into what I have now, no spark. I knew it was time to change plugs and decarb. I did all that about 5 months ago but have a lot of hours on the motor since then. I was even planning to stop in at the store and pick a few things up for routine maintenance. :(

thanks
cordell