105 Chrysler starting problem

lacrognon

Recruit
Hi Folks, I bought a 105 Chrysler last year and got to turn it over to test the compression before bringing it to the water and going for a spin. Nothing on the turn of the ignition switch. Fortunately with my whole gang in the boat I went to mental reserve and managed to start it by shorting the 2 large terminals on the solenoid. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 105 Chrysler starting problem

First off, no need to short or jump the two large terminals--lots of sparking and heat. Jump the battery side of the solenoid to the small yellow terminal. This closes the solenoid and cranks the starter with less heat and sparking. AND-- if the solenoid does not click closed, or clicks and does not spin the starter, then you know it is bad and needs to be replaced.

Second: If you were able to crank and start the engine, then nothing is wrong with the electronics. Either you have a bad starter switch or the neutral interlock is not properly positioned.

Yellow wire goes from starter switch to one side of the neutral interlock switch. Yellow from the other side goes to the solenoid.

Depending upon year, the neutral interlock will either be positioned on the distributor or below the carbs on the fuel line side of the engine. It is a brown switch with a white button. The linkage or the distributor cam must depress the button to allow voltage to the solenoid.

Frequently on these engines, the slop in the cables will not position the linkage to allow depressing the button. If this is the case, Simply move the control lever a bit to relocate the linkage or cycle from forward to reverse and back to neutral. Try it with the hood off and you will see what I mean.

If neutral interlock is OK, then since most of these engines did not come equipped with a "Dead Man's Switch" you need to check the ignition/starter switch. If the engine does not crank, jump from the red terminal "B" to the yellow terminal "S". If the engine cranks, then the switch is most likely bad.

lacrognon

Recruit
Re: 105 Chrysler starting problem

Thank you very much for the insight and quick reply. I had read one of the other member's posts which had mentioned the neutral interlock/safety switch, I checked this last night and you are exactly right on the diagnosis.
I mistakenly assumed that if the throttle/gearshift lever was centered that the engine would crank. Yes, I know what happens when I assume.
Thanks again