force 125 trim problem electrical

boatinsnc77

Recruit
I replaced the electric motor on trim but now the two little module boxes near front of engine case one is clicking and by switching boxes can go up or down not both at same time so naturally went to napa to replace boxes replaced and went for a second now nothing at all? i there a fuse block some where i am missing?:( please help at a wall

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: force 125 trim problem electrical

Sounds like you're on the right track. The "boxes" you're referring to are the trim relays. One controls "up", the other controls "down". You said you could switch the relays around and get it to work in one direction. One of the relays is probably bad. I would double check the ones you got from NAPA. Sounds like they may not be the correct ones. I believe there may be a circuit breaker of maybe a fuse. What year is the motor. You can tell by the serial number.

boatinsnc77

Recruit

that is true thanks it was a fuse under dash i had blown with new relay i installed and i think you are right the box clicks but why just one side working? very peculiar am i reversing polarity myself by switching and it will go up or down depending on blue or green wire in boxes but if i switch boxes does a similiar thing and if just one was working how could i switch and get same results by pressing up not down on trim button?i am stumped going to try to get cross referenced part number as they gave me one that looked exactly like it and had same diagram except a jumped rectangle

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure of what your problem is from your description. I will tell you how the system is suppose to work:

The trim motor is a DC motor it will spin in either direction based upon the polarity of the applied voltage. One direction will drive the outboard up, the other direction will drive the outboard down. The Blue and Green wires are the input to the trim motor.

The relays control the polarity applied to the trim motor. When the relays are not energized both the Green and Blue wire are grounded through the normally closed relay contacts.

When you energize a relay, it connects the cooresponding output wire to plus voltage through the normally open contact.

The trim switch is a single pole double throw, normally off, momentary switch. One side of each relay coil is grounded. When you press the trim switch you turn on one or the other realys depending upon the direction you want to energize.

If one relay works and the other doesn't, based upon which socket they are plugged into, you have a broken wire between the switch and the relay.

boatinsnc77

Recruit

Thank you sir that was immensly helpful i should be on the water tommorrow soaking up the sun. I really appreciate it.