need timing control rod swivel on 89 Force 125 model B

boatsmith

Cadet
My plastic swivel broke. It was part of the timing advance mechanism mounted at the top of the throttle tower shaft and there is a stainless steel double threaded control rod with slotted end through it, which connects it to the timing advance. The parts list shows it as part number F499026, but no longer available. See Force parts book exploded view of the powerhead, item 16. The broken one has the mounting stud and control rod offset from each other. Should this swivel be connected to the timing trigger side or the tower shaft side? Other people have worked on this engine and moved things around.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: need timing control rod swivel on 89 Force 125 model B

If you post a couple of pics of the swivel component and the area in question you will probably get a quicker more complete response.;)
Lets see what ya' got.
BP:)

capri86

Recruit

I have a force '86 125hp outboard, that I've just decided to part out on ebay. Fully running, but much easier to sell in pieces.

I looked up both parts between your '89 and my '86 and they have the same part number F499026. Anyways, I can email you pics and send you what you want for dirt cheap. let me know via pm.

ejbalboa

Recruit

hey intrested in the motor parts you have thanks ejbalboa.

boatsmith

Cadet

Capri86: I sent you a private message, but don't know if you got it. Not sure how it works.

capri86

Recruit

Your msg. went into the pm mailbox here - I don't think I can attach pics, except in this thread - look in your pm mailbox for my email address to reply with.

capri86

Recruit

I've made an attempt to attach a dumbed down jpeg image of what you're looking for. email me and I'll send you a larger image so you can see how it's supposed to be connected - then let me know what part(s) you want off of it.

Attachments

• P1000488.JPG
    P1000488.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 0

boatsmith

Cadet

swivel.jpg

Force 125 B powerhead.jpg
Attached is picture of the swivel hanging below the end of the towershaft.
Also there is a picture of the Force parts view where this swivel is number 16. Capri86, Thanks for the reply. I will email you direct.

jim_b_20653

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I have what you are looking for. I replaced the powerhead on my 1988 125 with one from a 120 L-drive and I have a bunch of parts leftover.

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you wind up in a pinch where you cant find one.
I actually made one for my 85.
I made it from a large chunk of plastic I had laying around.
The tapped end is 1/4-28 thread, at least it is on my 85.
Piece of cake. Some careful shaping with a belt sander and a couple drilled holes.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are still available from a Merc dealer, but you can make them as Tim stated, yes it is a 1/4 28 also

Mine broke a couple years ago, just make one.

I went to the hardware store and got a square key (like for a pully shaft keyway) that was the same thickness, drill the holes with a drill press, tap the one, drill the one a bit bigger on top for the recessed screw head, then cut it to length.

timing.JPG

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clever!!
that one looks great. Plus you wont have to worry about the stupid thing breaking anymore since its now made from a metallic substance.