putting chrysler 75 prop shaft back in

spudwrench

Recruit
I'm putting my lower unit back together ( chrysler 75 hp from '77 or '78) and there is a little copper or brass?? square piece that fit into the inside tip of the prop shaft. The piece keeps falling off and i dont think i lost anything. Was there something that held this piece on? Did I lose something? I can get a pic up if it will help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: putting chrysler 75 prop shaft back in

That brass piece is the shift yoke. It moves the center shaft which in turn slides the dog clutch into contact with either forward or reverse gear. It fits into a larger steel yoke behind the forward gear. If you look through the center of the forward gear you will see it. You did not lose anything.

It takes a steady hand to replace the prop shaft. First clean the center shaft and the brass yoke. Now coat both pieces with heavy grease to hold them together temporarily.

Now, pull all the way up on the shift shaft--if you haven't installed it, do it now--screw it all the way down.

Pulling it up moves the larger yoke forward so the slots in it are almost facing toward you. Now, with the shaft and brass yoke carefully aligned, slide it through the forward gear and engage the two tabs on the side of the brass yoke with the slots. It may take a couple of tries. the slots in the large steel yoke prevent the brass one from falling off the shaft.

With the shaft completely inserted into the forward gear, move the shift rod to be certain the yokes are engaged. If they are, you will see the dog clutch slide forward and backward. Assemble the gearcase and re-test shifting before filling with oil.