is there a fuel pump on 72-73 chrysler 130 ob?

pistolp

Cadet
my boaot at wide open and even getting to wide open she sputters then takes off bu i think i should be doing at least 45-55mph and i am only doingmaybe 15-20 i have a 84 starbuck boat its low and sleek probaly weighs 500-600 #s with motor and that is a chrysler 130 i had the lower end rebuilt and new shift and throttle cables put on and there tuned right and work well but why am inot going as fast as i should does this sound like a fuel filter and or pump problem ?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: is there a fuel pump on 72-73 chrysler 130 ob?

chances are unless you added one there is no fuel filter. The fuel pump probably needs to be rebuilt. This is pretty simple. A rebuild kit 18-7806 cost about 10 bucks. You want to replace the diaphram and main gasket. Parts 2 and 3 below.

4B.png

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The very first thing to do is a compression test.Remove all plugs and open throttle all the way then test.Then a spark test.Do you have a tach? If so what rpm ar you running at wot?Then check for water in the gas. Do these test and get back.The fuel pump diaphram is easy to change. A motor that old the diaphram in the pump is probably weak.
ALL!!!!! Motors should have a water seperating fuel filter.They help way more than people know.If running on 6gal tanks then check fuel lines and squeezie ball.Jerry

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Make sure if you test that compression that you ground the spark plugs or you could fry the ignition system.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Since you had the cables replaced, the VERY FIRST thing to do would be to remove the carb covers and push the control handle to wide open. See if the carb butterflies are opening fully and equally. I have seen the strangest thing done to Chrysler and Force engines and sometimes I trust a backyard fiddler as much as a pro mechanic.