Mystery Part (I don't have parts diagram) 1996 40 HP Force

Monarch

Cadet
Hello guys! I am very fortunate to discover this wonderful site.

I am hoping you can help me. This is my pathetic attempt at describing the part I think I need:

I am quite new to outboard motor repair. There is an arm that extends out from the underside center of the flywheel (or the toothed wheel that the starter cog turns upon starting) that is threaded, brass, has a ball joint at the end connecting to the underside of the flywheel to a noose/swivel of some sort. The ball jointed threaded rod is about 4 inches long and threads into a plastic fitting that is screwed onto a lever or something. This is a protruding assembling coming off of the left side if you were looking at the motor and is the only obvious "arm" or linkage of that sort.

Could you tell me what this part is, where I can get it, and what it controls? It snapped just before the plastic fitting it is attached to. Someone told me it may have to do with the timing of the motor upon acceleration since the motor sputters (sounds like fouled plugs but it isn't).

Please help! Also, my motor doesn't start even after putting new plugs in and cleaning the carb (professionally). I replaced the gas with new 52:1 synthetic TWC-3 oil. Any ideas?? It has a spark... Ignition sounds strong and healthy but it won't turn over. My mechanic told me it started for him the other day with muffs on at first turn of the key... I am wondering if something is grounding out... THANK YOU!

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Mystery Part (I don't have parts diagram) 1996 40 HP Force

Sounds like the timing rod.
With that repaired it will probably start better, because it increases or decreases the timing of the engine as the throttle is engaged faster or slower.

Monarch

Cadet

Thank you. Is there another name for the timing rod? I can't seem to find the part anywhere online. Any ideas where to find this? Also, would this cause my boat not to start? It started for the mechanic, supposedly, and the part was broken then.

If I could find this, that would be really helpful! I appreciate the hints!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Thank you. Is there another name for the timing rod? I can't seem to find the part anywhere online. Any ideas where to find this? Also, would this cause my boat not to start? It started for the mechanic, supposedly, and the part was broken then.

If I could find this, that would be really helpful! I appreciate the hints!

Timing link!
Try a Mercury dealer.

Monarch

Cadet

Great. That's a big help! I ordered the parts to get me going again but will this correct my starting problem?

Thank you!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Have to get the part on and get the engine retimed and see how it goes from there!