FORCE 85hp sudden loss of power :(

yohuallin

Cadet
i have a 87 capri bayliner, the outboard motor on it is a force 85 hp (unknown year) last saturday at the lake the boat was running great, then we turned it off and just relaxed for a couple of hours when we turn it back on the boat would not go over 10 mph, at wide open throttle the engine dies, outside the water when tested the engine responds very well, it runs great, when in gear it does accelerate but when its in the water it doesnt seem to have any power (basically when underload it doesnt respond), i tested the plugs and i believe one of them is barely working, while engine running, i unplugged the spark plug wire and it did not change very much, unlike the other plugs, you could see a big difference, today i did a pressure test, and all te cylinders are running at 120 psi, which tells me that all 3 pistons are good, now what i think the problem is that the carburator that goes to that cylinder is not mixing the right amount of air and gas, therefore is not getting the right explosion, PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR $0.02 EVEN IF YOU THINK IM COMPLETLY WRONG, thanks

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: FORCE 85hp sudden loss of power :(

I didn't notice were you checked for spark?

After you check for spark, it sounds like it might be time to clean the carburators.

Look for a 1" by 2" plate by the air intake. It will tell you year, make and model of the motor.

yohuallin

Cadet

Yes i did check for spark, the one cylinder that is being funky is the one on top, basically the fuel has to go up to that cylinder, i might not be getting enough fuel pressure on that carb, you think?, im gonna take it out to the lake today and try to set the mixture flow, hopefully ill get some results, is not, then the carbs are coming out

yohuallin

Cadet

Im worry about fuel pressure, but it seems that my fuel pressure issue is in only one carb, i already looked into getting one of those fuel kit, today im gonna take it out and try to set the carb mixture and also im gonna try a clean plastic gas tank and also a new gas pump hose, just to see if it makes any difference...

yohuallin

Cadet

so i tried adjusting the carbs by removing the rubber plug on the front and twisting the screw, and it did not help at all, still the engine dies at WOT and in neutral it does not revs over 3k rpm, but when tested outside the water, it revs high and doesnt die at WOT........ ALSO when engine running and cover off i see smoke coming alsmot from everywhere, is that normal... when i say everywhre i mean from the front and sides

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a little lost right now, but, do you feel the top cylinder is getting fuel and not ignigting it? Or is the top cylinder simply not getting fuel?