How to install water pressure gauge and/or tempurature gauge.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a pic of a 85 hp force with two places labled A and B. Thanks to who ever provided this photo, I hope they don't care.

1. Is A what I used to install a water pressure gauge?

2. Can I use B to install a water tempurature gauge or a head tempurature guage? (I'm not sure if B is reading water temp or head temp) If I can't, what if I remove the sending unit and instal a sending unit designed for a gauge?

Force85viewofhead.jpg

Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to install water pressure gauge and/or tempurature gauge.

(A) YES. (B) NO.

Also, behind (A) there is an odd shaped boss which can be drilled into the water jacket and tapped to receive either temp sender or pressure gauge.

Third option is not as quick acting for temp sender, but you can fabricate a bracket to hold the bottom of the temp sender against the head. Scratch off paint for better contact. Works fine, just slower to respond.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks

3. Is B for the heat warning buzzer? If so, is there a way to test and make sure it is working? Also, what two wires connect to the buzzer? I think my buzzer is not hooked up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Orange wires are for the heat sender.You don't want to disconnect the buzzer. You don't always watch your guages and the buzzer will sound while you arent watching.
If the orange wire isn't disconnected ground it out with the key on and see if it sounds off.
Take a pic of the other side with the wiring showing.Put it on here and maybe we can help.Jerry

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, I'll get to that this weekend.

How do you ground out the sendor? Do you have to remove it?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Funny, that looks just like my garage. And my boat. Geez, everybody copies me....

:D

The sender just unscrews. Be sure to put the wrench on the very lower part of the sender where a pancake nut is. Don't try grabbing it by the plastic part, it will just break.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

"B" is an overheat sensor. It is usually a modified 14 x 20 screw, but yours looks different than stock.

The overheat sensor (on the engine) is a switch that is always open until high temperature causes a bi-metal switch to close to ground. So knowing that, you can infer with very little electrical knowledge that:

1. One wire of your overheat indicator (near, at, or on the dash) should connect to the "I" terminal of the ignition switch for power only when the engine is running
2. The other wire of the overheat indicator connects to the ORANGE wire in the cable from the engine.
3. The orange wire inside the engine connects to the terminal on the overheat sensor.

Operation is thus: With the ignition key in the run position, power is always delivered to the indicator and through the orange wire to the sensor, but until the sensor closes, the power has nowhere to go and the indicator is silent or not lit (depending upon whether you have a buzzer or light)

Once the sensor closes due to overheat, the power can now go to ground and the indicator buzzes or lights until you turn off the ignition switch.

To test the indicator, you short the terminal on the sensor to a good ground like a spark plug body or a bare bolt with a short piece of wire or a screwdriver etc.

To test the sensor, with the ignition key on, you must either overheat the engine or heat the bottom of the sensor with a butane lighter or a propane torch being careful not to melt it. When it gets hot enough, the indicator should sound.

You can use the orange wire for overheat indicator OR temperature sensor and gauge but not both at the same time. If you want to have both, you must either run another wire or use the purple if you do not have a tach. (obviously, you must disconnect it from the rectifier). If you are not using the black ground wire it can be disconnected from the engine terminal and used for temp gauge. HOWEVER, to avoid confusion, it is preferable to run a separate wire.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,

Very well explained. I just installed the tack this last weekend. I'm just going to make sure the buzzer works. I don't think it is hooked up right now.