• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1996 force 40 hp

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 force 40 hp

hi..i have a 1996 force 40 hp on a 16 ft pontoon boat and yesterday was my first day out on it. When i got it we put a new impeller on it and put some muffs on it and it fired right up. The guy i got it from said it had been sitting for 2 years because the water pump stop pumping in the water with him and it got hot so he cut it off and had to get pulled in.so i let the motor run for a while with the muffs on and it ran good..idled good...and whatnot..i dont know a whole lot about boat motors because i put, i think a 11p prop instead of a 10 p one..and it didnt want to run in its power band..of course..i burned a 6 gallon tank of gas in no time...i went in after about a hour cruise to pick up someone and we changed the plugs, to try to help it out..and there was like a little of milky stuff coming out to the bottom spark plug hole..we put the plug in and fired it up...it ran fine..so we took it out for some more testing..when the tank got less than 1/4 empty we went in...and then it started smoking ..pretty bad..and really didnt want to keep an idle..i havent had a chance to talk to any one at my local boat marina...but i figured that someone here would know something about what i might have messed up..and by the way i mixed the fuel about 45 to 1...if anyone could help i would appreciate it...thanks..

Re: 1996 force 40 hp

Good morning! and welcome!
    Sounds like the head gasket, this is assumeing we're talking water milky. Check the bottom plug and see if it is clean and look for water droplets on the sparkplug, pull top sparkplug and compare the two. If it's the head gasket you'll see the difference pretty quick.

Good Luck! and have a great day!

Comment

Thanks...I really appreciate the help..The head gasket is what a buddy told me might be wrong..also he noticed that the holes on the back that normally would be squirting out water in a steady stream ...was only spitting water out...so he said we need to try and clean it out...any suggestions how?..i read a post that said use vinegar...anyways thanks for the help....have a good day...

Comment

You might want to go as far as replacing the impeller, not to hard to do! Let us hear how it comes out!
        My 125 Force is kind of iffy on the water spitting, get a pair of muffs hook her to the hose you'll get a better feel for how shes pumping, thought mine wasn't pumping right it just didn't put out the kind of water from the releif holes that other outboards do, most of it came out the exhaust snout at the bottom. It was pumping fine.
        I've heard vinegar is a good cleaner for different things.
        I'm going to add a fitting to the side of my engine cowling so I can see a steady stream like you see on other outboards, long as I see it producing a steady stream then I know she's good.

If you want to clean her out take the thermostat housing off pull the thermostat hook her to the muffs stand back and fire up, that'll cleand her out.

Have a good one!

Comment

I really appreciate the help man...for real...but yeah..we put a new impeller in her...i let it run with the muffs for a while..check the head with my hand...it never got too hot to touch...i had really good water pressure too though..but i want to add a tell tale to mine too...its only a 2cy..it has a, what looks like a plug, on top of the head that prolly can be used to put a fitting in and route it out the cover..thats what i hope at least...but im going to prolly get a head gasket and take the heads or head to my machine shop and get them checked for warpage...but anyways....i appreciate the help...take it easy..

Comment

You got the right plug for a tell tale. I suggest searching Tell Tale on this forum, and looking for a thread called Can I add a Tell Tale? I believe its by MarkV42, great post and instruction.
            Matt
            -'89 Bayliner Capri 1700 w/85 HP Force

Comment

Working...
            X