help loss of power 120 Force

whidbeyfisher

Recruit
I just got my boat in the water for the first time this season. When
I started to kick the throttle up to get the boat on plain the engine has a loss of power and quits. I can restart the engine but every time I accelerate the boat to get it on plain it stops. :(

PS I have a 1997 120hp force

sharkhook

Cadet
Re: help loss of power 120 Force

whidbeyfisher,

I had the same problem it turned out to be the Stator, I could start the thing but only get it just past idle speed before it died. I just happened to look under the flywheel saw one of the windings fried. Also look at the wires that come from the stator and trigger assy. for breaks or lose wires in their jackets. Now that's the quick check.

Compression,Spark and fuel should be checked as well. That's my two cents hope it help.

Sharkhook

sharkhook

Cadet
Re: help loss of power 120 Force

whidbeyfisher,

I had the same problem it turned out to be the Stator, I could start the thing but only get it just past idle speed before it died. I just happened to look under the flywheel saw one of the windings fried. Also look at the wires that come from the stator and trigger assy. for breaks or lose wires in their jackets. Now that's the quick check.

Compression,Spark and fuel should be checked as well. That's my two cents hope it helps.

Sharkhook