45hp chrysler coil wiring

mxnocean

Cadet
Hi, Im new to this site and boating so please bare with me. I adopted an older 45hp chrysler and have no info or numbers on it. ok here is the problem, I hooked up all the wires, hopefully in the right place and got it turning over but no start. there are two wires(red) coming from each coil(2) and dont know where they go, Ive checked all other wires to the solenoid battery and to push button start, it all looks good. Just I think Im getting no spark probably from those two wires that I have no Idea where they go, Like I said they are red and follow the spark plug wires for a few inches them end(no connection) do they go to the battery or to solenoid? its as If I need a wire diagram of the coils to tell me. P.S. I know there not grounds becuase the ground wires are obviose on the starboard side and already grounded, Thank you and all of your replys will be greatly appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 45hp chrysler coil wiring

When you "adopted" the engine, you got something for which you have no history. When I get an engine like this, the first thing I do is to set everything to factory specs--I automatically assume they are not. Now, when you stste coils, I am interpreting that as you have battery ignition with coils mounted on the side of the engine, not magneto with coils under the flywheel.

None of my wiring diagrams show red wires from the coils, so temporarily let's assume they were added for some reason (maybe a tach) by the previous owner. For the time being, let's ignore them.

First thing to do would be to check wiring again. Most importantly, blue wire should connect to the "I" terminal of the ignition switch. Then, two blue wires from the engine terminal board should connect to the + terminals of the coils. The grey and white (or brown) from one coil negative terminal and the white from the other should connect to the respective points set under the flywheel. Red wire should connect to the "B" terminal on the ignition switch.

NOW: if the blue wires to the pos. side of the coils are missing and the red wires are connected to the pos. terminals, then we can infer (since red wires are usually positive voltage) that the previous owner was re-wiring and the red wires should most likely attach to the blue terminal on the engine terminal board. this will supply power to the coils with the ignition switch on.

Next thing to do would be to pull the flywheel and clean and reset the points OR install new ones. They are still available from franzmarine.com or check over at The Chrysler Crew. Set points to .020 and install new capacitors if the old ones are corroded or cracked, then see if you have spark.

mxnocean

Cadet

thank you I definetly learned a lot from that, but since I dont know about this motor and you mentioned "magneto" I took the fly wheel off and saw that there were the coils and magnetos under the flywheel still the two wires are red coming off them. that follow down the spark plug wires.... what could they go?

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Magneto engines have two brown wires paired like a lamp cord that come off the points terminals and go to the terminal board. These connect to the blue and white terminals on the engine terminal board. The blue and white on the cable go to the "M" and "M" terminals on the ignition switch. This is the stop circuit. Be sure these wires are not connected together and are not shorting anywhere. Properly wired, they short the points to ground through blue and white wires and stop spark when the switch is off.

If this is where the red wires come from and there are no wires going to the terminal board, then this is what they are supposed to do. If they are not connected to anything, then they are doing no harm. If the brown wires are still in place, the tachometer signal comes off the points terminals and this was probably what the previous owner was trying to do. If the brown wires are still in place, you can remove the red wires.

While you have the flywheel off, clean the points and re-set them to .020. pitted or corroded points are the most likely reason for no spark, followed by bad condensers.

mxnocean

Cadet

thank you, Ill try just re-connecting all of the wires the right way and see what happens, hopefully it wont be the condensers that doesnt make it spark. thank you greatly

Chrysler45POS

Recruit

Hi,
I'm new to this site and cant seem to figure out how to post a new thread, so for now here it goes,
I have a 45 Hp Chrysler outboard motor from the ~70's, Model # 455BD Serial # 1016. It uses the points system with battery ignition coils (mounted on the side of the motor) for spark. Last season i 'quick-fixed' the old faulty coils and replaced them with old car coils. I would like to fix them with proper OEM parts, can anyone help me find the correct replacement coils? Thanks a lot!

Mike