'76 chrysler 75hp not starting

JP_TX

Cadet
I have a 75hp with good compression in all three cyl. Problem I am having is no spark to the plugs. Last I found any elec current was when I got to the power pack/cylinoid, that is the motor with the blue wire and white/black to alternator, thinking it is the breakerless electronic ignition from what I can tell from my Clymer book but I am new to this. From what I can tell and without the special tools the Clymer book suggests, I am not sure where to find out the lack of spark to the plugs. i am thinking it is the power pack or cylinoid but not sure and the only replacement I found was a combination that looks nothing like what I currently have on the motor. Can anyone help with a short cut to tell what the lack of spark to plugs is and if this is correct FORCE POWER PACK KIT, REPLACES MOTOROLA 6CB2012A & B (523301 & 523301-1) MOTOROLA 6CB2003 (404301), 300F817855A1. INCLUDES COIL MOUNTED ON PLATE. (NO TACH CIRCUIT), I have a 6cb2012a power pack currently. Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but from reading the rest of the forums looks like you guys are always up for a challenge. This is an awsome site by the way.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: '76 chrysler 75hp not starting

Before you go buying expensive ignition parts, let's do some basic checks!

It would make it easier if I knew if this is an engine that you just bought so you don't have a history on it or if this is a problem that recently developed.

But, I will describe your system and tell you where to check.

First, check the plugs and wires. The plugs tend to foul and at that point they short out and will not spark. The wire terminal inside the boot is a steel wire spiral and tends to rust, breaking off and inhibiting spark.

Next check to be sure that the coil wire has not worked its way out of the coil center terminal. Now look at the coil again. It should have a black ground wire from the negative terminal to the distributor mount AND, the moving part of the distributor needs a ground wire from it to the stationary distributor mount. If these ground wires are missing or broken, the engine will get no spark. The negative terminal of the coil may also have a black wire going back to the CD box. In this case the ground to the distributor mount is redundant but you can never have enough grounding, so put one there. Positive terminal will have a grey wire going back to the CD box--this is power to the coil

Now, if you have breakerless electronic ignition, there will be a blue wire on one terminal and a black/white on the other. The white/black goes back to the CD box. This is the signal to tell the box to fire the coil.

Blue is a power wire. there will be two of them connected to the same terminal. One supplies power to the CD box, and the other supplies power to the electric eye inside the distributor. Now, while I am on the distributor, Is the drive belt coming from under the flywheel missing or broken? And when the flywheel top dead center mark is at the pointer, does the mark in the top of the distributor pulley line up with the curve of the flywheel with the straight line pointing directly at it?

On the ignition switch on the dash, the "I" terminal receives power from the "B" or battery terminal when the switch is in run position. Red wire is from battery and connects to "B" terminal and blue wire connects to "I" terminal. If the switch is defective or the wires are broken and blue does not get power, neither the CD box nor the distributor will get power and the engine will get no spark. The blue wire from the ignition switch connects to the blue terminal and other two blue wires inside the engine. Be certain that the wires on the distributor (white/black and blue)are not touching each other or shorted to ground

If you do have points, there will only be one wire on the distributor but blue will still power the CD box. Difference is that the CD box senses whether the points are open or closed to ground and fires the coil.

With this system, you don't need to crank over the engine to check for spark. Since the ignition switch powers the CD box, with the switch on (and, of course, the battery connected,) you can turn the flywheel by hand and see the spark at each cylinder. Therefore, this engine can be static timed; you do not need to run it to set timing.

Let us know if you solve the problem.

JP_TX

Cadet

Thank you for the help guys, and sorry it has taken so long to get back, but I have been busy. I now have a 85 hp chrysler and 55 hp chrysler and I built two stands for them. I think they turned out pretty good, and I will post some pics later. Now back to my 75hp with the firing issue. I did purchase this motor as is, so it wasn't running when I got it. I checked all the wires, the blue wire does go back to the ignition and everything looks in order. Only issue I found is the ignition where the key goes in the blue wire and some others seemed loose but not by the screw, the connection part was loose, and I am unsure how to hot wire it to see if it is getting juice or not. I would like to mention I tested compression which seemed ok over 100 and I did do a test with the spark plugs out with a screwdriver no spark at all. I also tested the coil and power pack I am not getting any juice there eather. I also noticed a melted substance (very tacky/sticky) on the back side of the power pack and on the side of the coil. I am going to post pics of those as well later. Is there any tests I can do with a voltometer that will check for shorts?

JP_TX

Cadet

here are the pics

Attachments

• cd,alt.JPG
    cd,alt.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • melt.JPG
    melt.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
  • key.JPG
    key.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • mounts.JPG
    mounts.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wireterminal.JPG
    wireterminal.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 0

JP_TX

Cadet

Any Ideas on why I am not getting any spark to the plugs? Just wondering if it is the power pack before I go spend the money on it.