Installed Racor RAC-S3240 - no fuel coming out

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice
Please share your idea about water separator...

I just finish installing Racor Fuel water separator.
I filled up the bowl/filter with fuel before install.

The fuel connection layout is Tank - Hose - Inlet Filter - Outlet Filter - Hose with primer bulb in the middle and valve at end.

Tested by pressing the primer bulb many times, poke the valve but no fuel burst out.

It seems the primer bulb attached after the filter is not making enough suction to draw fuel from the tank into the Filter and off the filter to the primer hose.

Can someone tell the preferred setup? How to test to ensure that fuel is flowing sufficiently to the motor.?

If I have the primer after the filter, I guess I can test it by priming and poking to the valve. If I put the primer before the filter or bet tank and filter, I don't have a way of finding out whether the fuel will travel off the filter to the motor. But I think I can, I'll intall a long hose after the filter and see if the fuel will come out at least. If it does come out then I know I don't have any blockage and that my motor's fuel pump will the job of getting fuel from the filter.

See attached picture.

Please help.....

Thank you all...

Attachments

• DSC07596.jpg
    DSC07596.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Installed Racor RAC-S3240 - no fuel coming out

Just to add picture... Please see first posting for details.

Thank you all

Attachments

• DSC07599.jpg
    DSC07599.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Before you go crazy: Double check to see that the inlet and outlet fittings are correct on the Racor. Double check to see that the arrow on the primer bulb is facing toward the engine. Once you have verified these things, then play around with the position of the primer bulb while pumping it. Frequently the primer bulb simply will not prime unless it is held vertical. Sometimes the check valves get stuck and remain open--again, it simply will not prime. If possible, pour a little fuel down the hose to wet the check valves. Sometimes this helps to get them started.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

Before you go crazy: Double check to see that the inlet and outlet fittings are correct on the Racor. Double check to see that the arrow on the primer bulb is facing toward the engine. Once you have verified these things, then play around with the position of the primer bulb while pumping it. Frequently the primer bulb simply will not prime unless it is held vertical. Sometimes the check valves get stuck and remain open--again, it simply will not prime. If possible, pour a little fuel down the hose to wet the check valves. Sometimes this helps to get them started.

Thank you Frank.
I decided to go back to the original setup. I'd like to first understand how everything works. I might be able make the setup works but improper testing strategy may not be fully satisfying.

So here are my thoughts.

Installation concern:
I'm sure the port size,GPH measurement, fuel hose size and length, primer location, engine size, engine fuel pressure requirement (did I miss anything?) have to be considered in setting up a water separator.

Testing concern:
I'm concern about the fuel pressure difference between with and without WS.

I'm sure the fuel flow/pressure will decline somewhere because of having additional fuel filtering system.

I removed the filter to understand how fuel flows in and out and quite understand how it will travel inside the filter. By the way, it was so hard to remove filter....

I guess to make a perfect setup, I have to measure the fuel pressure with and without fuel filter. Maybe install a temporary tester (Vacuum tester on a T valve) before the fuel pump would help me figure out the fuel pressure measurement. I'll find that website again where it shows how to install the tester and post it here. I also saw on that website standard fuel pressure requirements for different size of engine.

My engine: Force 40 HP 1999.

I'm actually disappointed about my decision of immediately buying this without making enough research. I may need to just throw this one and buy a bigger RACOR. This one I bought has a small head and posted as designed for SEAPRO. I also saw in one website saying that this is for INBOARD. Is there any reason why they would design different WS for INBOARD and OUTBOARD?

I have 3/8" fuel line.

At your convenience, could you or anyone share me your knowledge about WS.

Thank you