84 Force 125 shifting problem

fishing fry

Recruit
When shifting into forward you can hear the gear box go click-click-click etc like it is trying to get in gear but it is not. I have to give a lot of throttle before it engages and when it does it slams pretty hard. I assume this is because of the throttle. It does not do this in reverse. Used service manual to see if things were out of adjustment and ran the suggested adjustment methadology. Same problem. I am going to drop the LU in a couple of weeks. Any one have any suggestions on what to look for?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84 Force 125 shifting problem

Doesn't happen in reverse and happens in forward is classic mis-adjusted linkage. There is nothing magic about it.

Not putting you down, but you may have used a Seloc manual which according to posts I have seen here is marginal and possibly confusing.

The manual does not tell you that because of compliance in the control cables, Because of the design of the system, and because of the poor design of the cables themselves, forward gear is much more likely to have problems than reverse.

In the past couple of days I have posted a thread on adjusting an 85 horse Force--titled Adjusting Controls.. All late Chrysler and early Force engines are the same. So adjustment directions are the same.

Thry looking up that post, and try my suggestions. Then if you still have questions or problems return to the forum.

fishing fry

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I found the the thread and will adjust accordingly. I will post the reults next week.

fishing fry

Recruit

I followed the adjustment procedures and it works fine as long as the motor has warmed up. It ran at the dock for 5 min and shifted fine. We took off from the dock, went to where we wanted to fish. I use a 6HP kicker for trolling and we trolled for 2 hours. When we decided move I just started the 125 pulled up the kicker and attempted to shift in to forward and had give it lots of throttle to get it in gear. I experimented later and I need to let the motor warm up at a fast idle for 4 to 5 minutes before it would shift normally. Any thoughts.

JWSands

Recruit

I had the same issue with mine but read your post a few days late ....blew my prop shaft... If warming it up is what it takes in conjuction with the linkage adjustment that is good to know.