question regarding cold starting 1996 force 120

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
only really happens when the engine has sat overnight or for many hours. With my Merc 35 (1986), put a little high idle, push the switch to close the choke and it starts.

With this force (1996 120) I seem to be flooding it out doing the same thing.... it will eventually start but it seems to be a flooding condition. When warm it starts just when you barely bump the switch. I put new plugs in as part of yearly maintenance and same thing...other plugs didn't look fouled...all looked the same and in good shap.

thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: question regarding cold starting 1996 force 120

If your flooding it it would usually smoke heavily and kind of shudder as it started.Are you setting a high idle with the throttle?Are you sure the chokes are closing correctly.You should give the primer bulb a couple a squeezes to be sure its firm?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Being a 1996 it should have an electric enrichment solenoid for cold starting. This either passes fuel directly into the bowl through the bottom brass plug, independent of the float position OR will pass fuel through the carb flange, into the manifold through a small brass fitting. If it is indeed flooding Then try just bumping the push to choke instead of holding it.

Not sure about newer Merc/Force, but older Force engines sometimes liked to crank a bit to cold start. Not to the point of being stubborn, but not on the first spin either.

And like Steelspike said--Are you putting the control handle into high idle/warm-up position? Force engines are notoriously cranky at cold start if the throttle is not advanced to warm-up position. Sometimes they will not start at all. Usually you pull out the whole handle about 1/4 inch and advance till it stops. However, Not knowing what control box you have, there may be a separate rubber button to push in the center of the handle, or possibly even a lever on the box.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Thanks...I'll give just bumping it this weekend. I am putting into the warm up posistion. push the rubber button and move throttle forward (my merc has the type where throttle is pulled out then pushed forward).

I knew it had a different type of choke than my merc...it closed the choke plate but I knew this was different.

I'll post my results after this weekend.