1970 Chrysler 35HP water pump

wbh3569

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1970 Chrysler 35HP outboard that I am borrowing from a freind and started engine last night to check everything out before taking off accross the lake.
I have the lower unit submerged above the cav. plate and when it starts up there is no water coming out anywhere
like a pee tube etc. to insure that the impeller is OK.
Does anyone know a. if these engines have a pee tube as such (like later model outboards) b. should there be water coming out the small exhaust hole in the rear of lower unit. c. Do they have a thermostat that could be prolonging water flow from coming out exhaust (only ran for about a minute scared I would ruin impeller).
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Chrysler 35HP water pump

There is no stock pee hole on any Chrysler outboard engine. Your 35 does have a thermostat but depending on which version 35 it is, the thermostat will be in different places on the top of the head. The thermostat will only control water supply to the head and to a smaller degree the cylinder jackets. The exhaust jacket ALWAYS has water flowing through it and exiting the engine through idle relief and exhaust.

Also depending on which version you have there will either be a small tube about 3/4 inch in diameter protruding from the rear of the engine on the midleg, just below the hood lower pan. This is the idle relief and water will come out of it in a coarse spray. ----OR if you have the other version, there is no tube and the idle relief and water will spray inside the midleg shroud and leak down out the bottom of it. Both versions will have the bulk of the water exiting the exhaust snout with the exhaust.

On the version without the relief tube, the only way you will know if the engine is getting water is that it doesn't overheat. OR, you can remove the midleg shroud. You will see two holes about 1/4 to 3/8 inch diam. in the midleg. These are the relief and water should issue from them in a small amount as a coarse spray. If after say 10-15 seconds you do not get water flow from the relief, on either version, with the cavitation plate submerged in water, you have not ruined the impeller---it was already bad.

wbh3569

Cadet
Re: 1970 Chrysler 35HP water pump

WOW, great reply, Thanks, this is my first time posting on this site. I was able to locate a brass plug in the top of head and removed it to find water gushing at 1/3 throtle so the impeller is OK. now my problemis it doesn't go in gear. I am going to start a new thread on that if you have any advice will be great.