1991 50 hp Force Control Cables hook in HOW?

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All
I have a 1991 50 HP Force and I can't figure out what kind of control cables it takes. It looks like they hook in backwards. I've been searching for weeks to find out what the heck they are. Does anyone have an example or know how I'm supposed to tie into this thing?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 50 hp Force Control Cables hook in HOW?

What? No one answered you?

Your engine should use standard Teleflex control cables with 10 X 32 threaded ends. On the engine end there should be two cylindrical quick-connects that snap over the ball ends on the engine (middle photo). You buy them separately. The groove in the ferrule of the cable should clamp into the fitting(s) on the tower and shift lever (top photo). the fitting is held closed with one screw each. Depending on your control box, the connectors on that end, while still threaded onto the cable, will differ.

Chrysler and later Force used a GOOFY control cable set up. If you look closely, you will see that the outer part of the cable is anchored at the control box and the inner part is connected to the moving lever. At the engine end, the outer part moves and the inner part is anchored.The inner control cable doesn't actually move the control; it is the difference between the inner and outer that actually actuates the shift or throttle when the control box lever is moved. Like I said: GOOFY!

Because of this arrangement, the outer part must be free to move and you must leave a loop of cable (usually in the engine splash well) or they will bind and not function correctly. So, if you are ordering new cables, get them longer by about 3 feet than actual measured length.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1991 50 hp Force Control Cables hook in HOW?

these are the GOOFY ones then. I saw how I thought it went but it just doesn't look right or safe......but is how you are describing the these. The anchor in the middle picture is at the back end of the engine. Looks to me like if you're not carefully where you put the rest of the cable you'll be moving the thottle and ship. I don't know why the heck they think you want to use the cable sheath to do the moving instead of the cable...... very Bad design imho.

thanks Frank for the response......I've been checking this thread daily. Thank you again, Jeff