Teflon tape?

ztim

Chief Petty Officer
After having the head gasket replaced, I took the engine home and couldn't get it started. I took it back to the marine mechanic and after a minute he got it running. We let it run and then I took it home. When I tried to start it, it ran for about 45 seconds and the cut out. I thought it might be sucking air so I wrapped Teflon tape on the fuel line connection where it goes into the plastic gas tank. Still no go. Any ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Teflon tape?

what motor are we talking about?
It would seem it is starving for fuel.Be sure all connections and connectors are good be sure the tank vent is open.Squeeze primer bulb until firm ,start it if it starts to falter squeeze the primer bulb.If it helps then you may have a fuel pump problem.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

It's my 6hp Chrysler. The bulb does get firm but that is where it stops. Nothing happens when I pull the rope. But it did start at the marine shop.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Bad gas / water in fuel? Primer bulb installed backwards? Quick disconnect fuel fitting not seating properly in connector? Plugged fuel line?

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the mechanic. Was the same fuel tank and hose used for the test at the mechanics shop? If not, you can't blame the mechanic for something he's unaware of. That may well be were the problem is.

To quickly say BS get a new mechanic, doesn't do much in diagnosing the problem.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

byacey you are right it dosen't . But the mech should of at least advised him of that fact and check the rest of it for him. Don't mean to step on toes here. So I will shut up and let you guys help him. :redface:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Depending on how incline you are to getting your hands dirty try disconnecting the fuel line going to the carburetor and try pumping on the primer bulb and see if gas comes out. If not start looking at the fuel line to the tank including the fuel bulb. If gas does come out I would look at the carb next. If you have a spray bottle laying around try spraying some gas/oil mix into the carb and give it a pull and see if you can at least get it to cough. Make sure when you do try and start it you have the choke engaged and the vent open on the gas tank.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

When I got home and ran the motor, well, it ran for about 30-35 seconds as if it used the gas still in the motor from the shop. I did squirt gas/oil in the carb and it did not try to start. I will try the cylinder next and see if there is spark There should be because it ran at the shop. Thanks...I'll let you know.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

I took the hose to the carb down and primed but nothing came out. My brother emailed me and said to put the pebble back in. It is a stone that goes between the connectors for the tank and motor. I then primed it and the darn thing spit like a camel. I hooked the hose back up and squirted gas/oil in the carb and started it up. The female connector is brand new so the problem must have been in the male part. It ran as long as I kept full choke.

Why will it die when the choke is not full on? I also have to prime it by spraying in the carb to start it. After that it runs fine.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Why will it die when the choke is not full on? I also have to prime it by spraying in the carb to start it. After that it runs fine.

Plain and simple, it isn't getting enough fuel, or too much air. Is your gas fresh and mixed at the proper ratio with the oil? Since it was running fine at the mechanics, I guess we can rule out vacuum leaks and plugged carb passages.

You mentioned a "stone" or "pebble in the fuel ine? I'm not sure what that's all about. Are you talking about a check valve ball? If so, if this is the wrong way 'round, it'll prevent the fuel pump from drawing fuel from the tank. If you take the hose off the motor end end connector, you should be able to squirt fuel out the end of the hose with the primer bulb. Is this happening? Did your mechanic use the same hose / tank and primer bulb?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Had a similar problem with a 6 hp Evinrude ... found out the old hose from the tank to the engine was sucking air ... new hose = problem solved.

Did test with a hose from another OB to find what the problem was prior to purchasing a new hose.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

It was sucking air. I put new hose clamps on at the fuel filter and where the fuel goes into the carb. It runs fine accept I still have to do the manual squirt of fuel into the carb to get it going. Now to find water to launch and test in. Lake levels are very low.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Unless the idle passages are plugged, it should start just by closing the choke. The fact you have to spray fuel into the carb indicates it still isn't getting adequate fuel.

Be careful when trying it out that it isn't running too lean; it can overheat and damage an engine rather quickly. Once you get it warmed up, try adjusting the idle mixture for a nice smooth idle at about 700 RPM. Once this is achieved, then try starting using only the choke when the engine is cold and see how it starts.

It's also possible you might have bad crank seals which would lean out the mixture at starting and slow speed operation.