Chrysler 7hp idle and starting issues

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
OK, I finally got my 7hp tiller going after some time. I have resolved an overheat issue and now am on to new issues. Here is the problem I started and ran the motor in a tank for about 5 minutes. All was well, idle fine revved nice ran at correct temp it actually purred, I was about to take it to the lake for a trial run but, I went to put the hood on the motor and it died. I started it back up and it would only run when fully choked. Once I would start the motor (fully choked) I would take the choke off and it would die. After some time it would not even start. Could I have flooded the motor? Can the fuel pump need to be rebuilt? Can it be a carb issue? I will try again to start the motor after it cools and sits, but what can be the issue here. Model # 72HA I think the hood thing just may be a coinicidence.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 7hp idle and starting issues

You have a condition that got progressively worse as the engine was progressively starved for fuel.

More than likely, your fuel pump diaphragm has failed OR you got some crud clogging the carb. First check the fuel pump--it is on the side of the block and held with 3 fillister head screws. The bottom one is a little difficult to get at but do-able.

Then remove and clean the carb. WD40 works well.

Be sure to check all fuel lines for clogs at the quick-connect fittings and check the tank strainer if it has one.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I was leaning toward the fuel pump myself, I will buy the rebuild kit and put it back together. I just did one on my Rude' this summer. BTW this motor has been sitting for a while, so I kind of expect these things to happen, better in my garage than on the water.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

More than likely you are on the right track.But some motors develope exhaust leaks under the hood that cause the motor to stall when the hood is in place.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

The hood was on for all of about 2 seconds, then I attempted to start it again without it and this problem started, but I will test for a leak next time I have it running.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I rebuilt the fuel pump today, not the problem. Still stalling after about 3 seconds of running. I put some premix in a bottle and sprayed it into the carb and it would run. So I guess it is on to taking the carb off and cleaning it. Any tips or pointers? I am not good with carbs.