Please help Force 85hp outboard loss of power

chrisbates202

Recruit
Anyways here goes , i was out on my boat today and i was on it for a good two hours at clipping along at a good 45 miles per hour all day enjoying the sunshine and such. Well here is my dilema there was a long long line to get the boat out for some reason i just my boat idle (2 stroke) hmmm good idea or bad we idled in th water for at least 20 mins then the boat stalled and i had a hard time getting it going again when i did it had like no power it would just creep through the water so i took back out deeper away from the docks pulled the enigne cover replaced the sparkys and figured i would be back in business. no deal the boat is power less and still is that finally got back to shore got the boat out the water but i am very confused if anyone out there can help please advise me im new to boating havent had this boat out many times

stats are

89 maxum 17 footer
85 hp force outboard

Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help

JDP

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Please help Force 85hp outboard loss of power

My first suggestion would be to verify that you have spark on all cylinders. Also check your fuel system out. Did you happen to check the primer bulb to see if it was firm. Does pumping the bulb help with the power situation at all? Those are just some suggestions off the top of my head.

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chris, most troubleshooting begins with a compression test on all cylinders. Forty five miles per hour, HOLY COW, I've got the same boat and engine and can only achieve 36 mph!! What pitch prop are you running? Mine's a 15. I'd be one happy camper if I could get that speed out of mine!!

chrisbates202

Recruit

you know i have no idea i just bought the boat and the guy i bought it from said it did 52 mph i know its no special prop its not stainless turbo prop or anything like that. looks to be a stock prop.

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm the original owner and 15 pitch is what came stock on mine. Even brand new I didn't get more than 37 mph on the boats speedo! Back to your problem, I would still probably check compression first then fuel and spark. The fuel pump diaphrams do weaken with age and are simple and inexpensive to replace. hopefully one of the more knowledgable guys than myself will jump in here and give you some more suggestions.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

im thinking seeing it was idleing so long wonder if it got hot.check to make sure your water pump is working good at idle

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. Check compression

2. Check fuel pressure and flow

3. Check spark

Replace the fuel pump diaphram and the impeller.

When you have the lower unit off , get a section of garden hose and slip it over the copper tube you will see inside the leg of the motor. Do not bend or clamp too tight on this tube. Turn the water on slowley until you see it comming out the exhaust snout area as the snout will come off with the LU, Dont start the motor..

You should see water flow out the leg and some out the two holes in the top of the leg, if you do not then you may have a blockage in the cooling system. I wouldnt think you would have if it pumped before this but you might as well check before you put the lower unit back so you know for sure.

If you have any pits or scraches in the pump houseing ,put a new one on . Even small pits and scraches will lessen your water pressure.

iboats has the fuel pump stuff you will need and should have the water pump kit or just the impeller.

If the motor is not keeping cool then it will act as you are saying.

chrisbates202

Recruit

ok i finally got some time to work on my boat today. I pulled the spark plugs from cylinders one and three are saturated in oil and and cylinder 2 is clean as a whistle. i hope this isnt bad. i went to a local napa auto parts the owners are heavy into boating they sold me a propane torch and a something called sea foam that cleans up power loss and carbon build up so i m gonna clean up the sparkys and run that stuff through the motor and check for spark on cylinder 2 and see what happens there. if anyone has any input i would appreciate it.

chrisbates202

Recruit

update , had spark to all 3 cylinders at 11am and now that its noon its decided not to have spark on cylinder 2 so wiered also there was no gas getting to cylinder two so we cleaned up cylinder two carb with a airhose and some carb cleaner got all 3 cylinders receiving gas then the stupid coil pack to cylinder 2 stopped workin i was told that is what they do when they go bad they work whenever they feel like it so i called every marina in the state of michigan and no one can get them for like 1 week and in michigan thats about all the boating time we have for the season then it will be cold so i guess my boating for this season is sunk hahah no pun intended thanks for everyone that helped me figure this thing out.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coils work great until they get hot then start there cutting out. They get worse as you use them.

Most times you find out your coil is bad when your miles away from the dock. You should go ahead and replace all of them seeing how your sunk for the season.

The boating season here is all year, In the winter it may be 20 or so in the morning but it will get to 60-70 in the afternoon. ;)

chrisbates202

Recruit

latest update i acutally found a marina that wanted to sell me a coil pack ordered it overnight and wallah will be installing it in the morning then soon as i get outta work im off to the water. so i guess i wont be putting the boat away
just yet :)