Broken woodruff key for '73 55hp Chrysler

roaddawg61

Recruit
I am looking ( and looking I might add ) for the (baseball hat shaped) woodruff key that connects the flywheel to the shaft with the tab (bill of cap) on the key connecting the collar that operates the points. I have checked many shops and am down to having a machine shop make one for me. Any suggestions where or what else can be done. Thank you. By the way the local outboard repair folks here in Utah just boo and hiss when I mention the word Chrysler....:confused:

Attachments

• Boat part.jpg
    Boat part.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broken woodruff key for '73 55hp Chrysler

Try franzmarine at The Chrysler Crew

someone told me that you can get a mercury one and this is the part number for it:

Mercury Part #
28-F92498

I broke one on my 67 55HP and thanks God I found one around here, I was afraid I was going to have to make my own, but this one guy around where I live had one left. He said they should be gold plated.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You should buy two from mercury. If you dont torque the flywheel enough you will shear one off in no time at all. A lot of the horrors about chrysler is because they are so old people dont want to work on them. Funny mine is 40 years old and runs better then a lot of the newer motors I see at the launch.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

You should buy two from mercury. If you dont torque the flywheel enough you will shear one off in no time at all. A lot of the horrors about chrysler is because they are so old people dont want to work on them. Funny mine is 40 years old and runs better then a lot of the newer motors I see at the launch.

Ditto on what Eurolarva said. I have the older brother to his motor and it surprises a lot of people around the boat launch area when it starts up with less than 2 seconds of cranking on a cold engine.

bigblockponycar

Recruit

you can get them all day long through MasterTechMarine.com. cost ya 7 big ones plus 8 bigger ones shipping and handling