84 Force 85hp no serial/model #s

Brooktrout

Recruit
I just purchased a 1984 16' Bayliner Capri w/a 85hp Force. I cannot locate a stamped # plate with the serial/model/year etc... anywhere on the motor or clamp plate. I would like to find these so I can do some routine maintenance that I'm sure hasn't been done in a while. I also don't know what the standard prop size and pitch "should" be for this boat? Can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction?:confused:

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 84 Force 85hp no serial/model #s

Hi,

Take off the cowling and look on the drivers side front kinda under the carbs, just to the right of them.
You should see a plate with all the information.

Mine (fish and ski bayliner )has a 13 x 19 standard, but some have 13 x 17.

There are a buch of guys with the Capris on the site.

Brooktrout

Recruit

Hi,

Take off the cowling and look on the drivers side front kinda under the carbs, just to the right of them.
You should see a plate with all the information.

Mine (fish and ski bayliner )has a 13 x 19 standard, but some have 13 x 17.

There are a buch of guys with the Capris on the site.
Thanks. Sorry I haven't been able to get back until now. I have been fighting with another issue of it loading up on me. I haven't had a chance to check coil voltage or even to see if I have a stuck float. First thing tomorrow is the plan.

I found that the spare prop I got with the boat is a 13 x 19. I tried it out yesterday and gained almost 5mph but I think it's hole shot won't be stong enough to haul a tube without heating the engine up. I'll probably go back to the original prop as I pull my 2 young daughters on a tube at low speeds.

Thanks again MWBROWN. I did find out today that not many supply Force parts locally here in Maine. It took 4 hours just to find spark plugs!? Hopefully I can get this latest issue straightened out so I can get the girls back on the water!

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are welcome.
I have a spare 13 x 15 that I intend to use if I pull anyone on a tube. Makes sense.
But for everyday use, the 13 x 19 will get better milage. Did you mention what rpm's your are running? You need to be at about 5200 WOT. When you pull the tubes, watch that you don't over rev.

Have fun.

This forum has helped me bunch's. Today I put in a new impeller, and thermostat. Not too hard, but the tips here tell you the little tricks that makes it go easy.

Mike

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Congrats on your Bayliner purchse. I just bought a '85 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy Cabin with the 85hp Force. Took it out for a trial run today and with a 13" x19pitch prop and the boat totally empty except for the battery and 5 gallons of gas, it ran a top speed of 48mph and was able to stay on plane as low as 10-12 mph. These speeds are via the pitot type speedo, so they are subject to some degree of error.

I did notice the speedometer numbers turn from orange to red at the 40mph mark. Although I doubt it will ever reach that speed.