Force 125 overheat

andy9020

Cadet
It seems to be a common problem that the Force 125 has a cooling issue. We recently picked up a Bayliner with a Force 125 on it that had overheated. The seller explained that he was trolling at idle and his temp alarm didn't sound. I have been boating with an I/O for the past few years and I know that trolling at idle with make the temp rise. When this happens I just go and run the boat at crusing speeds for a little bit, bring the temp back down to 140 degrees or so then proceed to smoke my cigar and enjoy the lake.
I guess what I am getting at is this: Why don't people pay attention to the temp on these outboards? If people were to just keep an eye on their temp gauge, Force motors wouldn't have such a bad name. :rolleyes:
I can't wait to rebuild the Force 125 that is on my Bayliner and get it on the lake next summer. I think it is going to rip and be a lot of fun.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 125 overheat

My Bayliner 18' doesn't have a temp gauge. Only gas and speedo. I'm adding several gauges shortly. I'm planning on tach, head temp, water pressure, volts. Will head temp in conjunction with water pressure suffice instead of water temp?

Thanks.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 125 overheat

My Bayliner 18'/Force 90 doesn't have a temp gauge. Only gas and speedo. I'm adding several gauges shortly. I'm planning on tach, head temp, water pressure, volts. Will head temp in conjunction with water pressure suffice instead of water temp?

Thanks.