1988 Force 50 model 507Y8D

Stanley1

Cadet
Good morning all:
Great forum.
I have a 17' Bluefin with a 1988 force 50.
Started it up in the yard this year and it seemed to be running fine.
Hit the water for the first time and it bogged down.
Determined that its only running on one cylinder.
Changed plugs: no difference.
Got the Seloc manual
Tested the rectifier and the stator: OK
Switched the coils and the same cylinder does not fire.
I am hoping it is the CDI box (I have already ordered one)
Best price was boatfix.com.
I did find one wire loose.
White\Green stripe from CDI to Bus bar.
Fixed that: no difference
If that wire was shorting could it have burned out something in the CDI box?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

PS: Compression checks OK.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 Force 50 model 507Y8D

Welcome to the board, Stan. Sounds like you went about troubleshooting in the right sequence.
That wire could have caused it, yes. The cdi pack is very suceptable to arc-over. A loose ground or plug wire will cause it to "look for" another path to ground, even if it is internal... That kills them quickly.

Stanley1

Cadet

Thanks 12 footer:
Once I get the part and install it I post an update.

Stanley1

Cadet

Finally got the CDI box. Swapped it out and now I am running on both cylinders. Unfortunatley the muffs slipped of while I was tuning it and the overheat alarm went off. I shut it down immediately, but I think I may have fried the water pump impeller. I let it cool down for a couple of hours, but when I restarted it there was no water sputtering out. Hope to drop the lower unit tonight and take a look. Wish me luck.

johnp34

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have anything to add but I just realized we have practically the same boats. I have a 507Y8C (not sure what the difference is).

I just bought the boat a few months ago and have replaced the impeller, H2O pump, drive shaft seal, shift lever seal, installed a new speedometer, voltage gauge, ignition switch and depth/fish finder. I will be relplacing the carpet this fall along with a few other things.

The ignition switch I installed was different from the one I replaced. The purple wire on the old one and the "M" terminal connection was different. I didn't connect the purple wire when I installed the new switch because it is the tach (based on the terminal block on the engine). I wired everything according to my manual. I am assuming the "A" designation and the "I" is the same (accessories and ignition).

Are you familiar at all with your ignition wiring? I really would appreciate some verification on this if you could provide any feedback. Sorry I couldn't offer any feedback on your problem but it sounds like you resolved it (hopefully you didn't cause a new problem).

Thanks.

Stanley1

Cadet

Love the boat. Hate the motor.
If I can get this one running correctly I would like to trade up to a Yamha or Honda 75 HP 4 stroke.
I have never even looked at the ignition switch, so sorry I can't verify your connections.
I will try to look tonight if I get a chance.

johnp34

Seaman Apprentice

I hear you about the 4 stroke...and if you get a chance to look at the ignition switch let me know what you find...I just don't want to cause any damage to my engine but I am pretty sure everything is connected right.

Thanks Stanley1...

Stanley1

Cadet

Been a while. When I dropped the lower unit I found the impeller was trash.
Ordered a new one.
Finally got time to install it yesterday.
Pumps water good, but the motor still wasn't running right.
Installation instructions for the CDI box were not entirely clear.
Ended up switching the green wire from the trigger with the white/green wire and presto runs like a champ.
Hope to get it in the water this coming weekend.
Got it running just in time to winterize it.
Thats my luck.

jebainbridge

Cadet
How do you drop lower unit on the 507Y8C? I get the 4 bolts out, but unit still doesnt detach. Need some help

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How do you drop lower unit on the 507Y8C? I get the 4 bolts out, but unit still doesnt detach. Need some help

You begin by starting a new topic, a new topic just the two you started about the kill switch and fuses and not posting in an 8 year old thread. Got a manual?