Spark plug for 125HP Force

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 1989 125HP Force. What spark plugs should I use?

Anybody have a link for a spark plug reboot kit, the ends are a bit too loose.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spark plug for 125HP Force

Champion UL18V, Don't know about boot.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Champs suck...use NGK BUHX

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Champions run very well for me. I've read somewhere they are recommended for Force engines.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Yeah, both will work, but my 125 likes the NGK much better

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, both will work, but my 125 likes the NGK much better

The plugs in there now are NGK 25522 BUHX. However the old owner also had some old Champion UL18V's as spares. I'll stick with the NGK's for now.

Thanks for the info.

spokes_123

Recruit

Hi, I have just ordered some NGK BUHX for my Forece 125, any idea's on the gap needed for these.

spokes_123

Recruit

Forget the above as I have just read a Forum entry from Scatty Captain which answers this fully
- I use are surface gap. the electrode is in the middle of a flat ceramic piece and the spark jumps across the surface.

MikDee

Banned

Hey Ski_king, Where you been man? long time no see. Have you been running the Force? Didn't you put the boyesen reeds in there?

paul88

Cadet

For the boots, I used an accel solid core non-suppressive wire kit from advance auto. I cut the cables to length, cut off the old cables, stripped, etc etc, soldered together, and used some thick rubber covers I had plus some tape to insulate the solder joint. If you buy suppressive cables, you can get some screw threads and screw them into both ends of the cable for a more flush seat, but suppression is not in the design for these capacitive discharge ignitions.

I've used NGK and autolite. NGK seems to have a smaller electrode than the autolites, which doesn't really matter since the gap is the same, but it did make it harder to recover from fouling with the NGK. I prefer NGK at this point because they come with much nicer press-like washers that seem to provide a reliable seal. It gets tight maybe a half turn from set point so its compressing that washer a good amount.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Changed back to the Champions and they really run better for me. Or, maybe I just got a bad set of NGK's. Whatever, they both work.