Chrysler 55hp -- What kind of carb & fuel pump rebuild kits?

I'm trying to get my newly acquired Chrysler 55hp outboard running. I don't know the last time it was run but figure it was > 1 year and should go through the motor before starting it up. In doing my homework, I learned that my motor is M/N 5571 and built in 1968. I've also read posts from others who have 55hp motors and recommend getting the carb and fuel pump rebuild kits from Napa Auto Parts. For other 55 hp's, the recommended Napa kits were part number 18-7037 ($15 carb rebuild kit) and 18-7806 ($9 fuel pump rebuild kit). I went to Napa today and they actually have several kits. Potential carb kits are: 551HA, 554, 559HA, 559HE, & 558. Potential fuel pump rebuild kits are 18-7806 and 18-7057. Does anyone out there know the correct kit numbers for the Chrysler 5571 55hp motor? Are there any other components that I should service/ replace before starting up the motor? (I'm planning on changing the oil and the small amount of fuel/oil mix in the tank.) Thanks.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler 55hp -- What kind of carb & fuel pump rebuild kits?

18-7806 and 18-7037 are the correct kits. The hardest one to get from NAPA is the pump kit. They usually stock the carb kit. You can get both here from Iboats for cheaper then what NAPA asks. When doing the fuel pump only mess with the diaphram, screen, and main gasket. Dont mess with the check valve gaskets. They are press fit and hard to remove without breaking. The check valves are still avalible from Merc.

Impeller should be replaced as well I prefer the 6 vane impeller over the 10 Part is 47-F433065-2 and available from mercury. If it were me I would drain all gas remove the float bowl and drain that gas. While float bowl is off pump the old gas into a jar. Then start with a fresh mix of gas using 50 to 1 marine outboard oil with TCW3. Replace the plugs with L82C plugs. (What spark plugs do you have in there now?). After doing these things then try and start motor in a tub of water. Do not do carb and fuel pump rebuid till you verify it will start. If motor does not start and you have done the rebuilds you will second guess what you did. Best to start the motor first then do the maintainance.

OK. Thanks for the info and recommendations. Are the two numbers you (eurolarva) provided (18-7806 and 18-7037) both the fuel pump? Thanks again for the info.

OK. Thanks for the info and recommendations. Are the two numbers you (eurolarva) provided (18-7806 and 18-7037) both the fuel pump? Thanks again for the info.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

18-7037 is the carb kit and 18-7806 is the fuel pump kit. The carb kit will come with instructions.

ruckerra

Cadet

Just founr this post, thanks for the info and advice. Mine is a '68 as well but the model number is 5541. Are the part number still the same? Manuals are out of stock at this time...... Grrrrrrrr

wickware

Lieutenant

?Impeller should be replaced as well I prefer the 6 vane impeller over the 10 Part?.

What is the advantage or disadvantage of a 6 vs 10 vane impeller? I?m waiting for a 10 vane Sierra that I just ordered. The existing 10 vain was last checked in 1985 (used about 2-3 hrs per summer in fresh water) and had what I considered a good output/stream. The old impeller is flexible w/o dangerous surface cracks but the vanes are not straight ?at rest positions?. I?m anxious to see if the new impeller will give a more solid stream vs airrated.

I?m also noticing that my Clymer?s manual shows that the vanes flex more with the higher RPM. I wonder if the stream is reduced or compensated from the RPM and design of the 10 vane Sierra impeller?

Thanks in advance for any info.

JOW