1992 Force 90HP Trim pump bolts needed badly!

Neeko

Cadet
Hi guys - my boat has been sitting at the marina for the past 4 weeks because they cannot get the 5 bolts for the trim pump - they are no longer available from Mercury. Apparently, the trim pump is held onto the boat with these 5 bolts which need to be replaced - some were missing and the remaining were bent.

Does anyone know where I can get these 5 bolts? I live in Quebec, Canada and will pay to Fedex here ASAP.

I don't have the part number but can get from the dealer if required.

I would greatly appreciate any help in finding these bolts so I can get back on the water.

Thanks very much

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Force 90HP Trim pump bolts needed badly!

Bolts are bolts! Mercury didn't make them , they outsourced them from a bolt manufacturer. So you are not beholden to Mercury. Try a place called Fastenal. They are probably the largest bolt supplier in the USA and perhaps Canada. You only need to know the head type, length, thread per inch and diameter. If they are the ones I think they are--holding the pentagonal head on--RRitt will probably have them. He will probably jump in here in a while or send him a private message. Post a photo of one bolt if possible or at least give a good description. You will probably be back on the water within a week.

RRitt

Captain

Tell them to try standard socket head bolts (the kind that take hex key).

Neeko

Cadet

You guys are terrific! I will try Fastenal and or hex bolts. I'm told by the mechanic I need size 1/4 - 20 (1 3/4 '' long)
Thanks very much again
Neeko

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your mechanic knew about this and didn't just replace them i would be a little weerie about him.
I would think he should no better.

RRitt

Captain

hex bolts won't work. you need socket head.

Neeko

Cadet

I'm very weerie of him and will never go back there again but right now I'm stuck because of this trim pump issue - which was not why I brought the boat in the first place. They told me the pump exploded while engaing the trim to work on the lower unit seals and the bolts all snapped off????

I found the hex bolts and the socket heads at Fastenal and delivered them myself to the mechanic yesterday.

I'm picking up my boat on Saturday and taking it to another marina regardless - I'm pissed.

Thanks again everyone for your valueable help.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On forums i always put my location sure there other people around that dealt with all the marinas and say which to stay away from.

Neeko

Cadet
Re: 1992 Force 90HP Trim Cylinder part now needed !!!

Re: 1992 Force 90HP Trim Cylinder part now needed !!!

I have now just learned I need another part and its no longer available from Mercury!!!! All realated to the 5 bolts I just bought and delivered to the mechanic.

In the Trim Cylinder housing there is a round pipe approx 3 inch long and approx 3 in diameter that does not fit in the housing - its warped I'm told and no one has this part. On the Mercury parts web site under Trim Cylinder Housing its listed as part #3 with no descripition and of couse its NLA and doesn't have a part number listed.
1992 Force ( Maxum) 90 HP
Serial number OE002644 Model # H0908A92F

Does anyone know where I can buy this part or the entire housing complete with the piston, bolts, seals and this 3" pipe included?? I'll just take the part that is warped if I can find it.

I live in Quebec, Canada and I don't recommend going to this marina I have been stuck at for the past 5 weeks because of pure imcompentence. The customer is out looking for his own parts!!!!!

Anyone who can help me would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Neeko

RRitt

Captain

i think you are talking about the cylinder sleeve. It is still available for around $45-$50. Try part number 803823T

i think you should keep your boat away from those guys in the future. I think a minor problem has snowballed into a major undertaking. They are probably as unhappy about it as you. But that doesn't help anyone and it is still your boat. five bolts don't just "pop off". Either the cap itself or one of the bolts will crack and the hydraulic pressure is relieved. More likely there was a leak and they thought they could give it a quick fix. They took a wrench to the five star bolts and twisted them off. When the bolts are fused you have to drill them out from the backside of housing until they are a thin hollow shell. Then you apply penetrating oil and heat. The bolts usually come out without breaking but it is a time-consuming pain in the butt (i hate working on saltwater boats).

I imagine that your cylinder sleeve got ruined when they tried to fix the broken bolts. Sleeves do not warp. On systems built by mercury the ATF will sometimes cause the piston ring to crumble and the piston drags. This will score the cylinder wall. Sometimes people will do home repairs and not have all the parts correctly aligned - this too causes scoring. In saltwater boats galavanic corrosion will fuse the sleeve into housing and it has to be machined out. But warping? The only thing that causes warping is mechanics with hammers.

If you get desperate check ebay. I think I have some hydraulic subassy listed at around $150 exchange. but .... it sounds like your core is pretty messed up at the present so you may not have anything to exchange. It will probably be cheaper to get the sleeve and let them finish.

Neeko

Cadet
Re: 1992 Force 90HP Trim parts found! Thank you RRitt & Baxtr

Re: 1992 Force 90HP Trim parts found! Thank you RRitt & Baxtr

I was just amazed at the response to my post yesterday from RRitt and baxtr. Thank you very much for saving me and I have placed the order for the part needed.

When I called the mechanic to tell him I found the part he didn't believe me and faxed me a copy of the exact same diagram - which I had. I told him I know which part it is then he asked me to also order the o-rings as well!!!

I'm certain he has damaged my boat as you described and hopefully he can now put it back together properly. I'm so impressed with this forum and the quality of help is incredible - you guys should get an award for great service.

Thank you so much guys.

Sincererly, Neeko

RRitt

Captain

knowing that your mechanic has already exhibited a certain level of prowess with these trim systems you may want to give him a pro-active tip.

He will need to take the old piston out from the trim cover so that he can replace the upper seal. The top of the piston shaft may be slightly mushroomed. If so, ask him to file down any mushrooming before removing the piston. He has already exhibited a tendency to use force when finesse is more appropriate. If he tries to drive out the piston with brute force then there are a couple of bad things that can happen down the road (cracked trim cover or dislodged wiper rings). While he is at it he may also want to lightly polish the shaft with some 1000 grit sandpaper. if the wiper ring slug is already coming loose then it can be gently reseated and held into place by gently making four indentations with a punch. Finesse not force is the key to success. It is aluminum and it breaks more easily than steel.

Neeko

Cadet

Will do - thanks again

Nothing like telling your mechanic what to do especially when he is charging me $70.00 per hour

Neeko

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Send him a bill from all of us at Iboats LOL ;)