1998 90hp Force primer bulb flat

SNAPPERMG

Cadet
I had to crawl home at about 1200 rpm's because that is all the power I could get out of the engine. I give full throttle and the boat barely moves and then bogs down.

I tried to squeeze the primer bulb, but it was all sucked in. A friend at the marina said I only need to change the bulb.

Is that what caused my problem or is there more to it?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 90hp Force primer bulb flat

Replace the bulb first. Get a decent one to not the $10 dollar one from Walmart.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Before you replace the primer bulb, please check for clogs in the tank or quick connect fitting if you have one. Some tanks have a strainer inside on the pick-up. A clog there or in the quick connect fitting (Usually male end behind the ball and spring) and a good fuel pump will suck the bulb flat in no time. Cost of repair? 0 bucks.

SNAPPERMG

Cadet

How do I go about checking for clogs in the tank? It's a built in tank, with a small circular latch to access. I can barely fit my hand in there. Where would the strainer be? Is the quick connect fitting the connection of the hose to the the tank? Thanks for help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes the valve in the bulb will get stuck causing a collapse.
Be sure the tank vent is clear. Bugs may have built a nest in there.
Be sure the hose is not kinked or crushed somewhere.Be sure the connector is fully connected in place.I think most tanks have access to the dip tube fuel gauge assembly inside tank.Be very careful as gas fumes are treacherous.They are heavy and settle in the bottom of the boat.Also could flow down stairs into your cellar etc. if working in an inclosed area.

SNAPPERMG

Cadet

I replaced the primer bulb, strainer on the pickup seems clear and venting is clear. It runs better then last time, but I am still lacking power on throttle.

I began running it with the muffs on and it starts up fine, runs in idle fine and when I give it high idle it increases, but begins to stutter as I get to 2000 rpms or so, but still runs. Bulb not collapsed like last time, but does not exactly get hard either.

I try a water run and now the problems begin. Good at about 1200 rpms and when I shoot the throttle no repsponse at first and then kicks in. I get it to about 4000 rpm and bring it back down to neutral and stalls. Start up again increase throttle and now stalls at about 2000 rpms. I started it up again and headed home fine at 1200 rpms.

Please what is my next area to check? I would have thought fuel pump, but when it collapsed the original primer bulb, it must have been working correctly. Thanks for any more advice you can give,