difference between chrysler 9,9 and 15 hp??

sjonnie

Cadet
I got a 15 hp chrysler from the mid 70's and now one connection rod and piston are broken and also one of the 2 cilinders is totally gone.

Somebody gave me a 9,9 chrysler with a good engine in it.

My question is, is it possible to put the engine from the 9,9 on the tail of the 15 hp? and is the difference between the 9,9 and the 15 only the carburator and membrane? or also the bore?

wil it give 15hp again when i put the 15hp carburator membrane, flywheel and ignition(electric starting) on the 9,9 engine?

thank you

greetings from The Netherlands

excuse me for my bad english

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: difference between chrysler 9,9 and 15 hp??

Don't worry about the english! We are all tech heads here and speak the same language.

The 9.9 and 15 use the same basic block and crankshaft. The bolt pattern and drive shaft are the same, so you can interchange all parts. Save the points and magneto from the bad engine. The bore may be different --I don't remember--so when you change parts you may not get a full 15 horsepower. If the bore is the same, then yes, you will get 15 HP. If not, you may need to use the prop from the 9.9 to keep the engine in the proper RPM range. By "membrane" I suspect you mean the reed plate and reeds behind the carb. These are the same also.

Interestingly enough, the early Force 9.9 was a de-rated Chrysler 15. That should tell you something.

sjonnie

Cadet

thank you for your answer.
I will try to put the carburator flywheel reed valve,electric start and alternator on the 9,9 engine and then just try i think.
maybe first measure the bore?

greetings from the netherlands

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 15 has a different bore and stroke.The 12.9 a longer stroke.
Looks like you will be running a 9.9.

sjonnie

Cadet

well in that case better running with 9,9 than not running at all:)
but its for sure that a 9,9 block never can give 15 hp?

greetings

sjonnie

Cadet

well i put everything together and now it's running very nice:) with the 15hp carburator:) maybe 11hp now?:p
i've got only 1 problem left: when i put the tank on a higher place there is no problem but when i put the fuel tank on the ground the engine is not getting his fuel enough.
somebody knowas whats the problem?

greetings prom the netherlands

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Fuel pump,bad or leaky connections/connectors could be sucking air.
sometimes the pulse port or hose if present becomes plugged

Elysia

Recruit

i just got a 1992 15hp gamefisher and it quit pissing water